Chapter 3

"Fuck." I swore under my breath, moving forward so my pendant was no longer touching my skin. 

Calum stopped painting and looked at me. "What's wrong?" He asked me.

"My pendant is hot.." I told him, looking around the room. 

He furrowed his eyebrows and looked around with me. "Who is it?" Calum asked me quietly. 

I shook my head. I leaned back and my pendant was no longer hot but a lukewarm. My shoulders fell and I frowned, knowing nobody got up and left the room; nor did anybody come in. I asked Mr. Taylor if I could go to the bathroom and I looked around the hall and headed to towards the bathrooms. My pendant once again grew hot. I stopped for a moment, wondering who it was. I looked back at the art room as somebody bumped into me. "Watch yourself." I heard a familiar voice. I look up at Luke Hemmings.

My eyes immediately went to his neck where I saw the pendant. The one exactly like mine. "Holy fuck." I swore. 

"What is it, fatherless fuck?" 

"Stop fucking calling me that. Look at the pendants, Luke." I told him. 

He looked at me for another couple minutes and his eyes went to my neck. "Fuck! Fuck fuck fuck." He continuously swore. "I was sincerely hoping you were fucking stalking me when you made that photo in art." He said to me.

The hatred that always was laced in his voice soothed very quickly. The thing about the pendants is that once you know you have found your soulmate, there are so many things that could go right in the relationship. I wasn't feeling in love, though. I felt awkward and anger and upset all at the same time. I mean, Luke is very attractive. I had no sexuality preference. I just didn't want to be with him. He was so arrogant. "I don't like this any more than you do, Luke." I told him, mumbling slightly.

He takes out a permanent marker and forces me hand out. "The hell are you doing?" I asked him.

"Shut up. This is my phone number and address. Come to mine after school." He said to me, writing down the number and address in sloppy lettering. The black marker stained my skin as he sighed, gave me a smile, and walked past me. My pendant was still burning from being in such a close radius of him. 

I went back to art class and sat down next to Calum. "Did you find your soulmate?" He asked me, a goofy smile on his face.

"Yeah." I simply stated.

"Why do you look upset? You should be ecstatic! Unless it's somebody you don't like..." Calum said to me.

"Luke. It's Luke." I said quickly.

Calum didn't respond but I could see his mouth open and then close a few times and I could tell that he was unsure as to what to say. 

---

I looked at the dark wooded door as I quietly knocked. I heard shuffling from the inside as the door opens, slightly startling me. Luke stood there with a blank face. "Hey." He said to me, stepping aside. 

I didn't respond as I walked into the home, looking at the fairly nice surroundings. I see his guitar on the couch and I smiled. "I um, I know your YouTube channel. I like your singing." I told him, trying to be decent.

"Really?" He asked me.

I nodded my response. He went over to the couch and I watching him carefully. "I... I was writing this song the past few weeks... Do you want to... y-you know, hear it?" Luke asked me.

For the first time, Luke Robert Hemmings was acting decently towards me. So I just told him yes as he begun singing his lyrics. At the end of it, he only sung and played for about a minute and a half; he looked up at me with gleaming blue eyes. I felt my chest ease. "I liked it." I told him honestly.

"Thanks, the title is 'Rejects'. I may change the girlfriend to boyfriend now because I'll have you." Luke told me, placing his guitar on the seat next to him.

I frowned. "Yeah, I guess." I replied.

"Let's get to know each other, Michael. Just um, let's go to my room." Luke offered.

I just nodded. I felt awkward being decent with him. Out of anybody, it had to be my enemy? But surprisingly, his personality took a complete 180 as he was acting very nice towards me. How long that was going to last is unknown. I followed him up the stairs and he opened a door for me. He had a nice room. He sat down on his bed and looked away from me. "I still think you're a dick." I told him, slightly glaring at him. 

"Understandably." Luke responded. 

I frowned and sat down on the bed next to him. "What's your full name?" He asked.

"We're really going to play this game?" I asked him.

He shrugged. 

I groaned and responded, "Michael Gordon Clifford." 

"Cool, cool." He said.

We sat in silence for a couple moments. "I don't think I can do this with you, Luke." I told him, taking off the necklace. I put the hot pendant in his hand and I stood up. 

"You can't just walk away!" Luke yelled at me. 

"Who said?" I asked him.

"It is the way it is supposed to be!" He yelled again.

I laughed at him and I opened his bedroom door. I felt a pair of hands grab my shoulder and throw me to the ground. "I said no. You and I are going to make this fucking work." Luke swore at me, hovering above my small frame.

I slapped him across the face. "Who said you could fucking touch me?" I asked him.

He placed his hand around my throat fairly tightly as I gripped his arm trying to pull him away. "Fuck you." I managed to get out. 

His grip tightened and I couldn't breathe. I heard a car door close from outside and I think he did, too. He let go of me and moved away. "Michael please. Take your pendant. We will start off slow, okay? Please don't leave just because of confrontations of the past. I am trying here." Luke told me, looking me up and down. 

I stayed quiet.

"Please." He pleaded.

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my necklace from his hand. "See you later." I said to him, exiting the room and heading downstairs. I see a man come into the house and he smiled at me.

"Who are you?" 

"Luke's pendant match." I told him, sneaking by him and leaving the home.

When I got home to the empty house I went to the bathroom and turned on the light. I lifted my head and examined the discoloring on my throat. I ran my fingers gently across the mark. I hate him. 

All I knew at this moment was I didn't think Luke and I were ever going to be together. Or at least in a good way. I went back to my room and pulled out my art kit. At this point I was crying as I grabbed the baggie. Don't do it.

Don't.

Michael you're strong.

Don't do it.

And before I knew it, blood was running out of both of my arms. 

You're not strong...