So Many Things

Link to song:  https://youtu.be/NnPKBwO4-P8

Jason smiled down at the baby in his arms. He had a head full of thick dark hair and chubby cheeks. His sweet little rosebud mouth was in a little pout as he dreamt of whatever it is babies' dream of. He sighed and slowly rubbed the little hand that rested in his palm.

He leaned down and kissed the baby's forehead before he began his story.

"By the time I was your age, I'd give anything
To fall in love truly, was all I could think
That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams
The most beautiful woman, that I'd ever seen"

He closed his eyes and was transported back to the first time he had seen her. Her shy smile when their eyes had met for the first time. The sound of her voice when she introduced herself.

"She said, 'Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing?
I can't help but notice, you're staring at me.
I know I shouldn't say this, but I really believe,
I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me.'"

Jason opened his eyes and looked down at his son. The boy had moved a little bit in his sleep, but his eyes were still closed. Jason adjusted the way he was holding the child before continuing on.

"Now, most of the time we'd have too much to drink
And we'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything
Too young to notice, and too dumb to care
Love was a story that couldn't compare."

Jason thought back to the day he had proposed to Y/N. He had been so nervous he thought he might throw up. The big bad Red Hood was shaking in his boots at the thought of a beautiful woman refusing him. He laughed a little bit when he thought about how scared he had been. He told his baby boy all about it.

"I said, 'Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing?
I made you a present with paper and string.
Open with care now, I'm asking you, please.
You know that I love you, will you marry me?'"

She had laughed and thrown her arms around his neck. She had said yes about a million times as she covered his face in kisses. His heart warmed at the memory. He could almost feel the press of her lips on his skin again.

Then he thought about that cursed day. They had been so happy after their son was born, until that one check up. Y/N had come home with a brave face, but he knew something was wrong. He put their son down for a nap, before coming back to the living room to find Y/N with her head in her hands. She turned to him with tears streaming down her face.

"She said, 'Boy can I tell you a terrible thing?
It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks.
Please, don't be sad now, I really believe,
You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me.'"

Jason felt like superman had punched him in the chest. All the air left his lungs.

Slow, so slow I fell to the ground on my knees.

Jason began to cry has he thought about it. He wiped his face as he finished telling his son his story. He would tell him everyday for the rest of his life so he would know who his mama was and how brave, beautiful, and kind she had been. Not once throughout her illness did she show fear nor was she mean. Even when she demanded her baby be allowed in her room she was nothing but polite.

Jason pushed the dark hair back from his son's forehead. Other than the hair, the boy looked just like his mother. Jason's voice came out in a hoarse whisper as he finished his story.

"So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose
If you're given the choice, then I beg you to choose
To walk away, walk away, don't let her get you.
I can't bear to see the same happen to you.
Now, son, I'm only telling you this
Because life can do terrible things."