Chapter 1

"Try and catch me, snails!" Hotkit meowed, sprinting towards the nursery. Spiderkit stalked quietly in the shadows, waiting for him to near, her haunches bunched. Killerkit, Maggotkit and Icekit chasing him. Brokenkit was in the medicine den for a thorn stuck in his paw for the fifth time in the half moon.

"I'm gonna win, you snails!" He yowled triumphantly, closing into Spiderkit's range. She leaped out, tackling him to the muddy floor.

"You lose!" She hissed, hopping up. Though Hotkit and Maggotkit were going to be apprenticed in less than a half moon, they still hadn't ever won a chase with Spiderkit and her brother.

"No fair, you cheated!" Hotkit whined, standing up and shaking the mud off. Spiderkit barely stepped back in time to avoid the flying goop.

"I didn't cheat, I just found another way to beat you. Chasing someone doesnt lead you to victory." She pointed out with a hiss, raising her tail in triumph as she padded over to the medicine den.

"Hello, Spiderkit. A half moon old and already so big!" Mothwing purred. Spiderkit dipped her head in response and looked over Mothwing's shoulder. Her brother was getting a poultice on his paw by Cinderpelt.

"Will you come play now?" Spiderkit meowed to her brother who gave a nod. He padded over, he pelt sleek from previously grooming.

"Bye Littlecloud. Thanks for my paw!" He called as they padded out.

"Stay away from those brambles, Brokenkit!" He responded, his mouth full of herbs. Brokenkit was larger than Spiderkit, but not as big as Maggotkit. Maggotkit was huge for a kit.

"What did you guys play without me?" His mutter broke the silence and she turned to him.

"We played Catch The Fox, and of course I won. Hotkit wasn't happy when he lost." She shrugged, nuzzling her mother as she padded in. She noticed a new nest was in, covered with soft moss. Ferncloud had Killerkit and Icekit asleep already, their two pelts clashing.

"Who's nest is that, Feathertail?" Brokenkit murmured, settling in his spot to nurse. Spiderkit settled beside him, hungrier than a fox in leaf-bare.

"Tawnypelt's. She is having Rowanfang's kits, so you'll be having new denmates in less than a moon." She murmured, and Brokenkit began suckling. Spiderkit was still weary about what her mother had said, though she had began also.

Tawnypelt was always soft on my denmates and I, even if she had a sharp tongue. What will her kits be like when they are born? She asked herself as she filled her belly.

"It's too soon!" Mothwing yowled, padding in with wet moss and a large stick.

"What's going on?" Icekit yawned, but Ferncloud just nosed her sleepy kits out the den. Spiderkit had already been awake, vividly aware of Tawnypelt's groans, but before she could ask about it she was nosed out along with Maggotkit, Killerkit, Hotkit and her littermate.

It had only been a quarter moon since Scourge had announced that Tawnypelt was expecting, and she was supposed to kit for another half moon. Maybe she's having her kits! Spiderkit guessed, catching up to her denmates.

"Hey, I bet I can beat you in a fight!" Hotkit bet Icekit. Almost instantly they were in a fight. Spiderkit watched with amusement, Maggotkit beginning to cheer.

"Go Hotkit!"

"No, go Icekit!"

Her denmates cheered until Icekit came out on top of Hotkit, claw marks all over the toms. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Scourge watching from his den and one of the apprentices, Deathpaw, watching. When she finally looked back, her denmates were deciding who would fight who.