O S C A R

Mum is coughing up blood now. "LEONIE???" I yell. No answer. 

"Oscar... Leonie... Where... is she..." Mum whispers.

"She'll be back soon, she's gone to get you medicine. To make you better." I try to say positively, more trying to reassure myself than my mother. Mum nods. "I'm... too sick... there is...no point... helping me..." She whispers. "Get out... of here. Go... somewhere sa-sa-safe." 

"Mum no, you're going to be alright! You'll be okay!"

"I love you... Oscar... and tell... Lee... I love her... and that she will be okay... " Mum manages, and then goes limp in my arms. "MUM! MUM! MUMMY NO MUM!" I scream and hug her to my chest.

"Mum... No please, mum wake up. Wake up!" I whisper. Tears streaming down my face. It's over. She's gone. I hear footsteps on the gravel, but all I can see is the blurry kitchen and then darkness.

FLASHBACK

All I can hear is the ringing of alarms. Police are everywhere, handing out sick masks. "Whats going on?" I ask Cecily, our babysitter. "I'm not sure. But we gotta get inside, fast. Come on quick!" She yells and grabs on to my arm. "Leonie? LEONIE?" She yells. "She's over there!" I yell. Pointing at the caramel toned bob of hair to my left. "Leo! Come on!" I yell. She dashes over and we run from the park to the car. "Whats happening?" She asks. 

"A disease apparently." Says Cecily, biting her lip. "It only affects some people- but they are taking precautions and giving everyone masks." Then someone screams

"Carrie? CARRIE?!" It's a child, she's yelling and shaking at the body of a middle-aged woman. It must be her mother. Tears are streaming from her eyes. She sees Cecily. "HEY? HELLO? CAN YOU HELP MY MAMA?

"Honey... Come with me." Says Cecily smiling at the young girl. "Whats your name hun?" She asks. "Emmie." The little girl says. She looks about thirteen. My age. "Emmie, your mum is in a better place now, she crossed the rainbow bridge... she is better now." Whispers Cecily calmly. "Rainbow bridge...?" Says Emmie, obviously confused. 

"Never mind. You should come with me." Says Cecily, putting her hand on Emmie's shoulder.

"Okay." Sniffles Emmie, wiping her eyes.

 "OSCAR! LEONIE!" Yells a voice from the shouting and screaming. It's mum.

"MUM!" Yells Leo. She collides with mum hugging her hard.

"We need to leave. NOW." Says Mum. "Cecily, do you have a place to go?" Asks mum putting her hand on Cecily's shoulder. "Yeah. Um, ma'am, this is Emmie... Her mother... Well um..." Says Cecily, gesturing to Emmie's mother's corpse. "Oh. Oh, honey. Oh my. Oh, come here, hun." Says mum her arms outstretched. Emmie runs to her, crying into her chest. "Take care of her Cecily," Says mum. "I will, ma'am." She replies.