Chapter One.

CHAPTER ONE.

The brunette woman looked at the chaos that had previously erupted right in front of her. Little did she know that by the time she had stepped off of that plane, her entire manor, her heritage would be burned to the ground - everything inside of it. Years worth of archeology - burnt and buried beneath the ash. She counted herself lucky that she wasn't inside of it when it was set alight.

Lara wondered for a moment whether it was accidental - maybe Winston was in the kitchen, he was never one for cooking. But when her boots crunched further down the pathway, passing what would of been her water fountain three or four hours before, she saw that the fire wasn't accidental - the perpetrator evidently wanted Croft Manor destroyed, whether Lara was inside or not.

She didn't know whether to laugh or cry, for she was already on the brink of a mental breakdown. Her former mentor, killed brutally at the hand of that Nephilim monstrosity - although the Parisian police still thought it was her who had done it. Her cocky American sidekick; a pain in the arse but no less someone who had helped her, was nowhere to be found. The one person who actually lived that nightmare with her, someone who would actually back up her story was quite possibly and almost certainly, dead. If he did survive though, she supposed being locked up in a mental asylum with an ex - legionnaire wouldn't be so bad, entertaining at the least.

After what seemed like an eternity of standing and staring, Lara screamed until her throat was hoarse and she let the tears leave a salty trail down her cheeks. She was never one for crying, Miss Croft, yet there she was, sobbing, screaming and praying that someone or something would pull her out of this mess, this misery. The only people who responded to her screams were journalists and camera crews.

Hadn't she suffered enough?

"Miss Croft, do you have any idea who did this?" A spotty, small man asked, practically shoving the microphone down Lara's throat as he looked back at his camera crew with a reassuring smirk.

"Get that thing, out of my face." She whispered, leaning down and pushing her nose onto his, her eyes bloodshot and boring into the soul of the poor journalist - whose nosiness could of landed him in a whole heap of trouble.

"Yes Miss Croft." He whimpered, feeling like a little boy on the school playground once again.

"All of you, get off my property! Leave!" Lara screamed as she turned to them all, waving her hands around like a lunatic, after what she had been through, she felt like one. Though what Lara didn't realise was that the more she got angry, the more the strange circular object hanging off of her belt would shake.

Eventually after 5 minutes of copious amounts of screaming and shouting, the Chirugai ripped from Lara's belt and began to fly around the journalists heads, the spikes threatened to decapitate them. Lara's face dropped in horror as she began to try and get it to come back to her, but it continued to scare away each and every person.

"If you can hear me, you arrogant motherfucker, control your goddamn weapon!" Lara shouted, whilst tilting her head to the sky.

Instantly, the Chirugai stopped its violent vibrating and dropped to the floor, the spikes retracting back inside of it. Lara's eyebrow raised, "Either you're playing with me Trent, or that was pure coincidence."

"Of course I'm playing with you, what other source of entertainment do I have?" His voice rang inside of Lara's head, making her squint her eyes and lower herself to the floor.

"Alright, where are you?" Lara asked, standing back up and looking around at what was left of her home, her hand resting on the pistol that sat neatly against her left leg.