Sent

Image isn't mine.

It was the night before I had to leave. I was nervous. The entire camp could see that. I was making sure everything was packed before I left.

I was pacing in the Hades cabin. Will was lying down on my bed, spread out and looking at the ceiling telling me to calm down while Hazel was on her bed sitting down and looking deep in thought. She stayed the entire week once she heard what was happening.

"Nico, calm down. You're going to be fine," he said, but I heard his voice wavering. I could tell he wasn't alright either.

So many thoughts were running through my mind. I couldn't think straight so I ended up over pacing and hit a wall. Will and Hazel laughed. I managed a smile.

Hazel got up from her spot on her bed and came over to where I was now lying on the floor. She lied down next to me. Will came to my other side.

"Nico, we all know you're worried. This is going to be really hard for you. I just wish that we could come along. Even though you're probably going to be years in the future, so far away from everyone, know that we will always be here," Hazel said while sitting up and putting a hand on her heart. "Even though we won't be there next to you, all of us, Will, me, Percy, Annabeth, Frank, Piper, Jason, even Leo, will always be here," she patted her heart. I did the same.

"It's going to be okay, Nico. Everything will be fine. You are going to go a man who has saved the world twice and come back a man who has saved the world three times. As long as you come back," Will said.

"As long as I come back," I repeated.

"I hate to leave you but I can't spend the night here and it's getting late. Get a good night's rest for me. Don't stress, doctor's orders," Will said. I managed a smile. He kissed me softly on the lips before leaving to go to the Apollo cabin.

I stared at the door, thoughts racing in my mind. Hazel got up and hugged me.

"Come on. You have to go to sleep. You need a good night's rest for once," she said.

Wordlessly, I walked to my bed and lied down. Hazel went into hers. As soon as I closed my eyes, I fell asleep. And for once, I didn't have any dreams.

::::::::::::::::::::::::

I woke up at dawn. I don't know for how long I slept, but it was definitely more than usual. I got up out of bed, gave Hazel, who was still asleep, a kiss on the forehead and went outside.

He cool morning air soothed me, yet it also reminded me of what was laying ahead. Today, I was going to go to the land of the living dead, somewhere far in the future, with now knowledge of what I was going to do.

I walked to the lake and sat down at the dock. I listened to the crashing of waves and the whistling of wind. Until I felt someone sit beside me.

"It's beautiful isn't it," said Percy's voice. I looked at him, then back at the lake where I saw the sun rising.

"Yea," I said, but it sounded distant.

"Don't think too much. Forget about it until it comes," he told me. I nodded.

I then heard the clopping of hooves from behind me.

"Nico, it is time," Chiron said. Percy and I stood up. He held out his hand for a hand shake. I returned the gesture. His sea green eyes bored into my own dark brown ones. No words were needed.

"Get your belongings, child. Your father wishes for you." I followed Chiron to my cabin. He waited for me outside while I got my backpack full of clothes, nectar and ambrosia, a pistol that I found while I was returning the Athena Parthenos with Reyna and Coach Hegde, some food, and a lighter. Then I grabbed my Stygian iron sword and put it in its sheath. I looked at Hazel who was still fast asleep. I walked over to her and kneeled so I was face to face with her. I pulled a stray strand of hair back and kissed her forehead again.

I turned away to walk back towards the door, but I looked back. And I wish I didn't. I reluctantly turned my head away and looked up at Chiron. I didn't have the guts to say goodbye to Will. It would break his heart and mine even more. I wouldn't be able to stand his sad look.

Chiron nodded at me.

"You may go now, child. Come back safely. We will all be waiting," he said. Right before I shadow traveled to the underworld, I saw Percy give me a thumbs up and a nervous smile from the doorway of his cabin.

Percy disappeared and I felt the familiar rush of shadow traveling. Moving at the speed of light, darkness, strange noises, and the cold shivers up my spine. Seconds later I was standing in front of my father's throne. I bowed down.

"Father," I said. He stood up from his throne and shrunk to my size.

"My son," here comes the I-am-a-God-so-therefore-you-must-do-all-of-my-work-because-my-ego-is-larger-than-life speech. "I truly am sorry for sending you here with no backup," that's a first, I thought bitterly. "As you know, if I were to go myself, it would've raised suspicion between the Gods," excuses shmexcuses, I thought. "So I must send you. There can't be another war. Come back safely, son," he said. Like he'll care if I die or not. "I will send you there now," he said dramatically, "Close your eyes."

I did as he said. I felt both his hands on my shoulders. Then I saw bright, blinding light through my closed eyes. The light went away but I still didn't open my eyes. I didn't feel my father's hands on my shoulder anymore.

I opened my eyes.

The first thing I saw were the rail road tracks in front of me. Then the lush greenery surrounding it. Then I finally noticed the sign. It looked like there were words there but it was crossed out, leaving only one word and one written by the person who crossed the rest out.

NO SANCTUARY