chapter 7

I arrived at the restaurant and was shown to the table where Harry was waiting for me. “Haz!” I cried excitedly, as he stood up to hug me.

“Natalie, you look amazing,” he said as held out my chair for me.

“Thanks. I’ve missed you. How have you been?”

“Good, good. Yeah the lads and I have been working on some new stuff and they have missed seeing you around too.”

“Really?”

“Yes. We found Liam roaming the studio the other day mumbling your name,” he grinned cheekily.

“Are you serious?”

“No, I’m only kidding, but they have been asking when they are going to see you again.”

“Soon,” I hoped.

“So are you drinking with me tonight or does that guy not allow you to?” he cocked an eyebrow at me.

“Oh, please. I am drinking.”

He chuckled, “So what sounds good wine, beer, Champagne?”

“Champagne sounds lovely.” He ordered some fancy bottle as well as our food.

I tried to sip slowly as we caught up, but by the time our food arrived I was pouring my third glass. “Natalie, slow down.” He said with a big grin.

“Shut up, Haz.” I slurred.

We ate in silence.

As I took my last bite of food I said, “It’s a bit warm in here wouldn’t you say?”

He looked up at me and said, “Then take off your sweater.”

“Right,” I said taking it off, not remembering the bruises until I heard Harry gasp.

“What happened?”

“I… uh… it-it’s nothing, Haz.” I stuttered quickly putting my sweater back on.

“Those aren’t nothing. Did-did Chad do that to you?” he asked, anger already flooding his features.

“No. I’m fine, just drop it.”

He reluctantly agreed after some convincing and we relaxed after a bit and had fun.

I had lost count after my fifth class of Champagne, which is why Harry took my keys and I had to take a cab back to Chad’s.

I got home and stumbled into the kitchen. “Babe, is that you?” Chad appeared from around the corner. “Did you have fun?” he said laughing at me.

“Ah, yes it was just like old times.”

“Old times?”

“Yes things didn’t skip a beat with Harry and me.”

“What?!” it was in that moment that I realized what I had just said. “You were with that little prick?”

“Harry is not a prick,” I yelled with some new found courage, I swear it was the alcohol. “He’s twice the guy you will ever be.” I could see anger rising in him, but I didn’t care. “And he doesn’t have to beat me to feel good about himself!”

That was it, he snapped and punched me in the eye so hard it knocked me back a few feet. He ran after me but I dodged him and ran into the lounge. I quickly scanned the room for something large and heavy and settled on a vase on the end table. I ran for it and came within an inch of reaching it and was knocked off my feet. Next thing I know he’s on top of me with his hands around my throat. I couldn’t breathe and I thought to myself I don’t want to die. I stretched for the vase and curled my fingers around it. I slammed it as hard as I could into his temple, knocking him unconscious. I pushed him off me and ran for my phone.

I called the first person who came to mind. “Harry,” I said crying still trying to catch my breath, “I need you to come get me.”

“Natalie? What happened? Where are you?”

“Chad’s. Haz, please, hurry.”

“I’m on my way.”

I sank to the ground and sobbed uncontrollably until I heard the familiar sound of a car pulling up and footsteps on the pavement. He came around the corner worry in his eyes until he saw my face. I saw rage fill him within seconds, “Where is that lowlife good-for-nothing bastard?!”

He started to storm out of the kitchen and I grabbed his arm, “Harry he’s unconscious in the lounge. Can we please just go?”

“Fine.” He reluctantly growled.

He carefully helped me to the car and we drove in silence for a while. “He’s never going to touch you again,” he growled, so low I could barely hear him, his knuckles white against the steering wheel. “You’re not still going to see him right?”

“No, and after the vase to the side of the head I’m sure he feels the same way.”

“Good,” he snarled.

“Haz,” I said putting my hand on his shoulder, “Clam down, I’m alright.”

“Tell that to your black eye!” he yelled. I cowered back against the door. “Natalie,” he sighed, “I’m sorry. I just can’t stand knowing he put his hands on you like that,” he pulled into the driveway and turned off the car. He turned his head to look at me, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I convinced myself it was my fault.” I stared ahead not wanting to meet his gaze.

“It could never have been your fault,” he said grabbing my chin and gently forcing me to look at him, “You’re perfect.”

I smiled, “Thanks, Haz.”

“You can stay here tonight if you need to.”

“Yeah I should.”

We went inside and upstairs into his bedroom. “Do you need anything, love?” he asked sweetly.

That was the first time he had ever called me that, it brought an odd smile to my face. “No, I’m okay. I’m going to change.”

“Okay I’ll be downstairs.” He smiled at me and left.

I listened for a moment to his feet padding down the steps. I grabbed a pair of pajamas out of my drawer and went into the bathroom. I took off my jeans and my top and saw myself in the mirror. I looked up and down at the countless number of bruises and cuts and started to sob again.

There was a knock at the door, “Natalie are you alright love?”

I sniffed, “Yeah, Haz, I’m fine.” I said wiping away tears.

He opened the door and stared at my body in shock. “My God!” I started to cry harder, holding myself in a hug. He rushed over and encased me in his arms, rubbing my hair and soothing me while I sobbed violently. “I will never let anyone hurt you like this again. Never!” he exclaimed holding me tighter.

When I finally calmed down I put on my PJs and went back into his room sitting down on the bed. Harry picked up some blankets and walked towards the door, “I’m going to sleep on the couch.” He started to leave.

“You don’t have to. You can sleep here with me.” I said patting the bed beside me.

“That’s alright I’ll be fine on the couch.” He smiled and started to leave again.

“Haz, please? I don’t want to be alone.” I pleaded.

“Alright, love” he said, giving up and shuffling to the bed.

He laid down and got comfortable and I snuggled up next to him. “Goodnight Haz.”

“Sweet dreams, love.”

I fell asleep to him humming, feeling safe and comfortable in his arms.

so what do you guys think. good or bad? vote, like and comment please. ~aya