Chapter 2

A'RIS, the INSUBORDINATE

"A'rissanda Brynx, you will not turn your back on me. No soul is allowed such an audacity in my presence, not even a noble member of the Roanarq'teve clan."

Her flame-red hair billowed out around her shoulders as she spun on her heel to face the king. "Nothing about the Roanarq'teve clan is noble, Father."

She could feel the spittle spray from her lips, but she didn't dare wipe her mouth. Instead, she allowed the smallest twitch of a satisfied smile as the man before her stood rigid and silent from shock. A foot taller than her, he displayed a gut at least five times as wide as her own, and wore enough gold and jewels hung about his stocky body to be laughable. His bird-like eyes were too dark to show emotion and his mouth was set in a constant state of disapproval. The old man was a selfish and austere king and an even harsher parent. She hated him with every fibrous nerve in her body.

He sucked in a quick breath before righting his face. "You will not speak to me that way," he hissed.

"Or what? You'll toss me onto a Worker ship or take away my bathing privileges for a month? Unlike you, I don't mind getting my hands dirty for the cause."

The room fell silent. Those unlucky enough to be in court looked down at their feet, embarrassed to witness the verbal sparring. The king's advisers backed away, as if weapons had been drawn and they were in the path of the imminent blood spray.

"You should learn to control that sharp tongue. Or have you forgotten who you are speaking to?"

With a step forward, one of his jeweled hands rose and pointed behind her. Two men in rounded helmets and chain-mail approached.

"You will be escorted to your quarters and summoned when I no longer feel like striking that rancid mouth of yours till it bleeds."

As her upper arms were firmly secured by the guards and her body was turned toward the doors, she laughed over her shoulder, "The only thing rancid here is the King."

***

"A'ris, why must you always do this?"

"Do what? Speak the truth? Does no one in this prison feel the same as I?"

She sat down heavily on the bed and blew a shiny tuft of hair from her eyes. After kicking off her silk flats, she crossed her legs, letting her slacks shift up her calves then drew in an exhausted breath. Fighting with her father was draining.

"Prison? I hardly call the palace a prison. Why take so much for granted? I was born in an alley-way. You were born...here."

"Exactly, Peton. And this is where I'll die, if he has his way. Why are you defending him, I thought the Guild was on my side?" 

She pushed another section of red hair out of her face and glowered at the boy, who was eighteen, not much younger than herself. With a shrug, he returned to installing the new desk. A'ris watched him slide each of the drawers in. Dark as night, the wood grain was barely visible beneath the golden filigree. Each intricate knob was made of expertly-cut, red crystals. It was a one-of-a-kind piece of exquisite furniture.

"You know, you really are good at your work," she mumbled.

He stood and stretched his back. "Thank you. As I should be. I'm an apprentice, after all. By the way, thank you again for the commission. My mentor is very grateful."

"I'd have no one else do this project for me. Is it nearly done?" After he nodded, she rose from the bed and padded across the floor to the new desk. Her fingers glided easily across the varnished top and rounded edges.

"It's finished," Peton sighed. "Feel below the top drawer. What you asked for has been installed."

He stepped aside so she could ease her hands beneath the thin drawer. At first she felt nothing but the wood, so she stretched her hand until her fingertips brushed against a small lever. After pushing it, a hidden compartment opened to her right at the very base of the desk.

"This will work wonderfully. There's just enough room."

Within seconds she produced a handful of papers from various hiding spots around her room and shoved them into the small opening before pushing it closed with a soft click. They both stepped back. It was impossible to see that the base of the desk opened at all.

"Perfect," she whispered.

A'ris hugged Peton until he pulled away with a shy smile. He ran a shaky hand through his brown hair. "A'ris, if they find those...they'll know what I've done. Please be careful, for all our sakes."