Chapter 1: Homeschooled Life

Hi guys!

Dedicated to its_mabel_dude because of her motivating comment before I even started the story! Thanks SO much Mabel! It means a lot!

I'm really hoping you guys will enjoy this story MAYBE even more than BBF! Thanks so much if you are reading this.

Happy reading!

__________________

Chapter 1: Homeschooled Life

Being homeschooled for eighteen years is a lot for one person, for many reasons.

For me, those reasons were the following:

1)    The only boys I talked to were the sixty-year-old man at the bookstore, my twin brother Jimmy and my best friend who lived across the street from us.

2)    I’d never touched anything close to junk food in my life. I’d dreamt about pizza, ice cream, all of that stuff in the ads, but Mom was strictly organic and vegetarian so those were off the charts.

3)    College was a no-no. Mom wanted me to go to online school (apparently she had applied me to somewhere called Indigo University), even though I had big plans of becoming a surgeon.

4)    And finally, I didn’t know anything. Not what the first word relating to sex meant, not what “popular” meant in school, and I’d only heard one person curse once. And that was my best friend Greg.

And that was my life. Pancakes in the morning, then Mom would teach me history, we’d have lunch, she’d tell Jimmy to turn off the TV, and then came the rest of the subjects before dinner and bedtime.

Bedtime was a completely different topic. I slept at exactly 9:00 every night, no later, no earlier. I mean, who the hell sleeps at nine-o’-clock?

Nobody, that’s who.

But now I’m here. I’m married, I’m a surgeon, and I’m living in a regular house with regular kids and an above average husband. But above all, I’m happy.

And that’s all that matters at the end of the day.

But enough about my life now.

Let me tell you about the time I escaped the dreadful wrath of my mom and got to live a life of my own.

Let’s rewind four years ago.

The idea of going to a real college only came to my mind when my best buddy and friend since I was five placed the idea in my hand and slapped it across my face.

Literally.

I had gone to Greg’s house that afternoon since it was a Sunday and I didn’t have classes with Mom that day.

We were sitting outside on his driveway when he brought up college.

“You have a month, Brooke. A month to decide if you want to go to college and make your own decisions,” Greg had said when I sat down next to him.

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m saying,” Greg started. “That you can’t be living with your mom forever. One day, you’ll need to go out there, get a job, and find yourself a husband. Do you hear me?”

“I get it, Greg, but-” I finally responded, only to get cut off.

“No, Brooke, you don’t get it and that’s why I’m telling you this.” Greg stood up and sighed, placing his arms on top of his head. “I’m not going to be where you end up, Bee.”

I stood up with him and walked alongside of him. “I can handle myself, Greg. When Mom dies, I’ll go with Jimmy to Miller’s to find a guy for me.”

Miller’s was a restaurant where everybody in town went for drinks, fast food, to find a match, or even just to drop of dog poo.

Everybody went to Miller’s. Even me.

Greg and I started to walk down Silver Street together, hands at our sides and heads looking up towards the end of the sidewalk.

“Do not go farther than Silver, Brooke! I’m watching you!”

Mom was calling out her bedroom window when I turned around.

Greg sighed. “Do you see what I mean?”

I knew what he meant, of course. I wasn’t that stupid.

“I know.”

“So you’ll go?” Greg asked.

I shook my head. “I still have to think about it. I can’t make up my mind in one day.”

Greg smiled. “But you’ll go if I convince you. I already have forms and pictures and pamphlets ready!”

He sounded excited, but I had to say no to the offer. “Maybe next time, Greg, I really have to go.”

We were at the end of Silver and I knew what this meant. Greg would go farther down so he could see his friends from Jefferson High, while I would head back home. It was where we would part.

“I’ll leave the stuff on your doorstep!” Was the last thing he said to me before opening the gates and leaving the neighborhood.

When I walked back into the house, Mom had lunch already set out for me. It was broccoli, carrots, and rice. Mom loved rice.

The next thing she did was call Jimmy downstairs. I knew exactly what she would say and what Jimmy would reply. It happened every Sunday.

“Jimmy, come downstairs for lunch!” She would say.

“No, Mom, I’m watching TV!” Jimmy would reply from his bedroom.

And then she’d march upstairs and be back with Jimmy two minutes later.

We ate the food in silence until Mom pushed an unneeded conversation into the air.

“So, Brooke, what did Greg say to you today?”

I shrugged. “We were talking about going to college.”

I always said the truth. Always.

Mom freaked. “What?!” She opened her mouth and laughed in a surprised manner. “You’re not going to college. If you find enough money to get yourself into college, go right ahead. But I have spent my money into getting you Indigo, Brooke. And you will go to where I want you to go. Do you understand?”

I nodded and looked down at my food.

But Mom was busy with her own schedule.

“No more eating,” she demanded, even though Jimmy hadn’t even touched one piece of rice. “Get your homework out and do it.”

Yes, she printed out the homework for us to do every single day.

We nodded silently, and, leaving our unfinished food on the table, my eighteen-year-old brother and I headed upstairs to do our homework.

“Bye, Jimmina,” I said to him at the top of the stairs.

“Bye, Brookester,” Jimmy replied.

And with that, my immature twin brother and I parted our own ways to do the homework that was due tomorrow.

__________________

Did you like the chapter? I SO hope you did!

Please read on!

So, VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, FAN, you know the drill.

And this chapter's question is:

If you're planning on going to college, where do you want to go and what job do you want to do?

Thanks for reading!

Happy Valentines Day (and hope you will get the love you wish for),

Bridgette