Chapter 1

"It's unfortunate you were promised a power that was never truly yours."

A hand lifted my chin, directing my gaze as I knelt in pain. I looked up to see a young woman with smoky-black hair and bright amber eyes. She was speaking condescendingly to me.

"But take comfort in knowing," she said. "That I will use it in ways you never could have imagined."

Her wicked smile only served to fuel my defiance.

"Do you believe in destiny?" I asked pointedly.

Her gaze grew cold and agitated. "Yes," she answered flatly. She stood from where she'd crouched to mock me. Her bow appeared in her hands, drawn with an arrow nocked. 

The arrow whistled through the air with the release, headed straight for my chest.

I sat up with a gasp, my hands clutching frantically at the spot in my chest. I gagged for air desperately as I tried to get the arrow out.

I jumped and resisted when two strong arms wrapped around my shoulders and took hold of my wrists. I squirmed and fought as I was restrained firmly against the man's chest, still frantically trying to breathe. 

"Pyrrha!" the man grunted my name as he struggled to hold me. "Pyrrha, stop! Calm down! Breathe, Pyrrha! Breathe!"

I realized I knew the voice. My memories started to flood back to me as I stopped struggling and coughed to catch my breath. There was no arrow in my chest. There was no evil girl trying to kill me. I wasn't fighting for my life. 

I remembered that I was home, in my bed. The man holding me was my husband, (F/n) (L/n). He'd found me unconscious in the forest several years ago, a few miles outside the little village where we now lived. He'd carried me here and found an old couple to lodge with. 

I woke in their small cottage with no memory. All I could remember was my first name and this traumatic recurring nightmare. No one in the area knew who I was and communication on the Southeast end of the Sanus continent was poor at best. Ultimately, I was alone. That same old couple took me in and adopted me. 

(F/n) was a free-lance Huntsman. He was strong and very intelligent. He came to visit me often. Over a short time, we fell in love and married. We built our house together on a piece of land at the edge of the village. We had a very peaceful life, aside from keeping the Grimm out.

I finally managed to calm down and snuggled up against (F/n)'s side.

A little voice called out timidly from the doorway. "Papa? Is Mama alright?"

I sat up to see my young daughter, (Daughter's name), poking her head through the door. Her emerald green eyes, exact copies of my own, were filled with worry. I instantly felt terrible. My occasional outbursts almost always woke her. 

I put on a brave face and smiled. "Yes, darling. I'm alright," I assured her. My arms stretched out invitingly. "Come," I called.

The dark-haired child entered the room and leapt onto the bed into my arms. I held her tight for a moment before she settled in beside me opposite her father. 

It was warm where I lay between (F/n) and our daughter. (F/n)'s arm stretched protectively around the two of us, helping me feel perfectly safe as we all fell asleep together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(F/n)'s POV