Chapter 46 * Saying Goodbye *

"Come on, we need to hurry!" she said loudly to Dorothy and I.

"So you know how this works?" Dorothy asked her as Jane fiddled with the controls.

"Yeah, I built this machine," she replied.

"You did?"

"Yeah. Yeah, to get home to you, then the Wizard took it for himself. Go to the controls! Quickly! It's gonna get hot in here!" she told us fervently.

"What do I do?" I asked, not knowing a thing about this machine.

"The part with the handle. Bring that towards you! Slowly, slowly. That's it! All the way!" Jane said as Dorothy and I pulled on the handle she told us to.

"Now what?" Dorothy asked.

A swirling stormcloud began to form in the tub and I sucked in a breath. Jane ran over and yanked the door on it open.

"Get inside! Get in! We have to go!" Jane yelled over the noise, ushering us into the glass tube," Just hold on tight, I'll be right behind you! I promise!"

Hesitantly, the both of us stepped inside, hodling hands tightly. The wind whirled around us quickly, our hair blowing around our faces as we let go of each other.

"Just one more sequence!" Jane told us and then with one final tug, she yanked the tube's door closed behind us.

"NO!" we shouted suddenly, banging our fists on the glass.

"This is the only way," Jane said, sadness filling her blue eyes.

"No! You promised us!" Dorothy shouted.

"I made a promise to protect you two! And I'll do it! I'll do it until the day I die!" she said with finality.

"NO!" we yelled.

My heart pounded in my chest as the wind started to lift us both off the ground.

"MOM! NO!" I cried out, tears streaming down my face.

My hand found my twin's and I held onto it tightly. Then my world went dark.