Chapter 1

Love,

This is totally short, love. Don't worry, it's just that I just woke up and I look like crap right now, and for Carrot's sake my mom wouldn't like that. Good thing she wakes up at 10 am. Call me potato, okay love?

Trish Potato.

________________________________________________________________

"Dammit, Seth." I said when I saw the West Terrier knocking off a pile of CDs under my bunkbed, where my hell of a mess bedroom starts. I groan, not talking too much since I just woke up.

My phone rang.

Touching accept, the contact's name was Seaweed Brain. Or in other words, my best friend Vel. Her head is full of kelp. Go figure.

"It's five am. What do you want?" My voice was a hoarse whisper, still dry from sleep. There was no reluctance in my voice, though, because she always wakes up at four. When she answered, I knew there was something wrong. Because there was no laughter, only silence.

"Meet me at our garage later, it's important." And the phone went dead.

There was this pain in my gut, that thing you get when you're nervous. Apparently this was important. I got up and went to the shower. I got dressed in some sweats and an old shirt. If your best friend is just two blocks away, you don't need to be all fancy shmancy about it. Besides, she's probably seen me naked. 

I ran downstairs, where my cousin Astrid was eating cereal. I sat down grabbing the milk and some toast. She shoved an empty bowl in my direction.

"Up so early in the morning, anything important?" She finally asked, still focusing on her bowl. I can't really describe my connection with Astrid. I mean, we look nearly identical with the curly, chestnut brown hair and grayish brown eyes. But I don't really think she's nice half the time. But she's always there for me and pretty much let's me do whatever I want.

"I have to go to Vel's place today, I think it's important."

"Well, your mom and Marlon are coming this week." I groaned. This was not the day. Or the week, for that matter.

"No way! Can't it be moved or something? And it's Malcolm not Marlon."

"They can't have it any other week because it's already on schedule. You think it's easy to get from New York to Doncaster?" I tried to calm down, feeling completely helpless for some reason I don't know. I gulped down another mouthful of cornflakes, nearly choking.

"I guess so." I sighed. Astrid smiled and put her hand on my cheek. I glanced at the wall clock.

"I gotta go now, so...I'll be back in 15, okay?"

"You better. Go, lazy douche." I sprinted out the door as she said it. Shoving my phone in the back pocket of my sweats, I pedaled my bike outside and headed towards Vel's place.

*                            *                               *                                    *

I arrived at their place in a mere two minutes, faster than usual. My hair was now a mess and I redid my matted bun. In the driveway, I noticed their SUV packed with boxes, clothes and stuff. I knew her aunt would be leaving soon. But the look on Vel's face as she neared the porch was more than I could imagine on the phone.

I stared at her in disbelief as she hugged me tightly and tears began streaming down her face. I was too numb to do the same. And as she said the words I hope were just in my imagination, my vision began to blur.

"We're leaving," She choked as I absorbed her muffled sobs. My shoulder was wet with tears. Little by little, I understood what she said. My best friend for ten years, leaving. This must be the worst of all the worst. It's that moment when you feel like falling in a hole and never coming back, knowing that the worst pain has come. I couldn't cry; I wanted to, but nothing came.