Find Our Friends

I couldn't sleep at all that night, I was too worried about finding Cole and eventually finding Solas. I got up early and found Cullen in the war room, hoping that he had some good news.
"Inquisitor" He greeted me as I walked through the large doors.

"Hello, Cullen. Please tell me you have some news on Cole."

"Better," he turned to gesture towards the corner of the room where Cole was standing, "we found him."

I forgot myself and leapt towards him, only stopping when I was inches from his face. "Where is he, Cole? Where's Solas?"
Cole cowered and shrunk against the wall.

Cullen gripped my arm and jerked me towards him, "he already told us."

I looked back at Cole and noted his betrayed expression. He looked wary and reminded me of a wild animal backed into a corner, ready to run or attack at any moment.
"Sorry, Cole."
He didn't move from the spot, but straightened up a little.
"When are we going to go?" I asked the commander and he shifted uncomfortably.

"I think we need to have a meeting about that. I will get everyone together this morning and find you."

I impatiently paced out of the room, grabbing Cole by the sleeve as I went. He flinched but followed me willingly.
"Why did you do that?" I growled when we were outside.

"I don't... I didn't want to... I just didn't-"

"You left me up there in pieces and then told them anyway? Do you have any idea how that felt?"

"Yes" he squeaked, "I didn't want to tell you, didn't want you to go, but I felt how you felt... I hurt... like you... I had to tell them but I didn't want you to hate me too."

"I don't hate you," I sighed "I'm just angry. I shouldn't have shouted at you in there, so I'm sorry."
He looked unsure, keeping his distance and eyeing me suspiciously. I lost most of the anger I felt towards him and smiled weakly, "can we still be friends?"

He looked at the floor and nodded solemnly, "yes."

"Good. Want to come for a walk with me?"

He didn't respond but followed me when I went to leave, dragging his feet as he walked. It only occurred to me after a few attempts to speak to him that he might be sulking, so I didn't bother trying again until we were at the other end of Skyhold.
"Did you want to stay here?" I asked when we settled on a wall.
He looked up at me unevenly but didn't reply.
"You know you don't have to stay if you don't want to."

"Don't you want me to?"

"Of course I want you to stay, but do you not ever think of finding Rhys?"
He looked away, unwilling to answer.
"He was your friend after all."

"He doesn't want me anymore."

"How do you know that?"

"I know what he thought of me. He thought I lied to him. He thought I had betrayed his trust."

"Don't you want a chance to explain yourself and change his mind?"

He shrugged, "he won't remember me."

"You don't know that, how will you ever know if you don't find him?"

He shrugged half heartedly and I sighed, "okay, if I find Solas with your help, we can go and find Rhys together, okay?"

"I don't want to find Solas."

"He's your friend, isn't he?"

"Yes."

"Then why wouldn't you want to find him? Do you not want to know if he's okay?"

"I know he's okay. More than okay... he's something more, now. You won't like him anymore."

"Why? Where is he?"

"Many eyes, staring into the abyss, wild and old, powerful and proud... it's his fault."

"What do you mean?"

"He's not what you think."

"Cole, tell me what you know."

"He... he's something more. He... I can't... it's not for me to say."

"Then I'll ask him myself," I wanted to sound confident but the doubt was already in my mind. Cole had planted the seed in my head and now I was unsure about how much I really knew about Solas.
"If I find out you're saying any of this to put me off-"

"I wouldn't lie to you, I would never lie to you."

I sighed, "we need to find our friends, Cole. Wouldn't you want us to come and find you if you left?"

He went to reply but Leliana approached us and summoned me back to the war room. Cole was asked to join us too and he trailed quietly behind us.