Chapter 2: The Berlin Redemption

Dakota POV

I've been in Berlin for a week and filming is going well. It's intense - a very different vibe than the Fifty set, but the people are amazing. Other than having red hair, I'm feeling very good about how things are going.

Jamie and I talk as often as we can and it's clear to me that he is happily situated with Hood and is in a comfortable 'head space' so to speak. At the end of every call he asks me how soon until I can change my hair color. And I always answer the same way, "When you grow yours back out, I'll get rid of the red."

I'm excited because The Strokes are in town this weekend and Olivia and I are going to their concert. She was able to get us backstage passes and I'm looking forward to some down time. I'm looking forward to NEXT weekend even more. Jamie has a long weekend as they relocate from Dubrovnik to Budapest, so he is coming to spend three nights with me. I keep teasing him about my gift from Foley, but I haven't told him what it is.

Honestly, I was shocked as shit when I received it the Friday before the Oscars. The hand written card said:

Dear Dakota,

I never thought about wrap presents until I saw one of your interviews. I realized that if anyone deserves a wrap gift, it's you. Thank you for being such a perfect Ana, and a perfect delight to work with. I meant it when I said you have all the makings of a fine director and I look forward to seeing where your career takes you next. I'll consider it a true honor to work with you again.

After all your hard work, I figure it's YOUR turn to chain someone to the bed. Don't worry, these will fit him. ENJOY!

JF

Wrapped in black tissue paper were two sets of handcuffs, each with a thick leather lining. There was also a red cord with a key attached and a notecard attached: One key opens all four. DON'T LOSE THE KEY!

Jamie and I always knew that Foley was secretly our champion. While everyone else was so concerned about us being seen together or looking too close, Foley gave us rope and encouraged us to let our emotions run. He was smart enough to see that the movie was about two people hopelessly in love and having to overcome obstacles to be together - a perfect parallel to what Jamie and I are going through. Art imitating life and all that, and Foley saw it and used it for the betterment of the movie.

Blake and Emily were at my house when I opened the gift and they hooted and hollered so hard they had Mimosas coming out of their noses.

Seeing my confused look, Blake asked, "What's up, buttercup? You look perplexed."

"I don't get why there are two sets."

That sent Blake into another fit of giggles. He patiently explained to me that men, especially muscular men, can find it uncomfortable to have their arms stretched over their heads with hands too close together. "You want to restrain him, Dakota, not put him in pain. You use one set on one hand and one set on the other. That way his arms are stretched and restrained, but his shoulders and chest don't cramp up."

I cut him a look, "Do I want to know how you know so much about this?"

Anyway, flash forward to the day I first walked into my Berlin apartment. Imagine my delight when I discovered that my headboard was crafted of wrought iron. I had a backup plan, of course. Blake had informed me that there are kits you can install that put bars in strategic places attached to your bedframe, but I'm happy to not have to ask a prop master to do that for me.

Jamie POV

While I miss Dakota, there is something to be said about being in a 'guy' film. There is such a great atmosphere on this set, really relaxed, and just guys being guys. And anytime you are spending hours a day with Jamie Foxx, you know you are going to be laughing.