Fourteen - Crumbling Walls

May 1913

Peter

After the news came out, the Duke made himself much more scarce. Of course Mother and Father knew about it, but I remembered Lottie telling me that he and our parents had quite a past together. No doubt that was the reason.

     In fact, the next time I laid eyes on him, it was at our garden party, the second event of the Season. It was rather shocking, that, considering neither Mother nor Father did not like many other members of the peerage much. Too pretentious, Mother said once. They'd rather look down their noses at us and scoff than tell us why.

     When I came across the Duke, however, I found him speaking to Grace in a low urgent voice. She was barely moving, gripping her glass of champagne so tightly her hand trembled. Once again, I felt the interloper on a private conversation, but seeing it was my sister's best friend, I did not have too much guilt about it.

     'Your Grace,' I said, making both of them start and look around at me. 'What a surprise, to see you here.'

     'I thought it only right, Master Peter, since it is your sister I am courting,' he replied tightly.

     'Yes, of course.' I was forcing as much brightness into my words as possible, but it seemed to be making Grace more tense and not less.

     The Duke cleared his throat unnecessarily loudly. 'I must be going. Good day to you both.'

     'Are you all right?' I asked Grace when he was out of range.

     'Yes, yes, I'll be fine.' She was staring after him, her tone of voice distracted. Her hand was still locked tightly around her glass, small ripples on the surface of her champagne. 'Thank you, by the way, for coming along when you did.'

     'What was he speaking to you about?' I thought of his expression, his golden eyes burning with an intensity I'd never quite seen before in anyone.

     'Don't make me tell you, Peter, not here,' she said, pleading.

     'I want to help you, Grace. Please...just tell me what's bothering you.'

     'There's nothing bothering me. I'm really all right.' Her words were tense and clipped, a sure sign that there was indeed something bothering her.

     'Grace.' I caught her hand, holding the glass. It shook in mine. 'We'll do it in private if you like. I promise you, nothing you say will be a shock to me, not after everything that's happened.'

     She bit down on her lip, so hard it turned white. Once again she looked away from me, the brim of her hat hiding her face. For a moment, I thought she was about to refuse again, but finally she nodded reluctantly.

     I pried the glass out of her hand and set it down on a nearby table. Then, even though I desperately wanted to take her hand, I led her away from the party and around the far corner of the house, towards a small white gazebo. It was covered with new buds, some already revealing their bright pink colour.

     As soon as we stepped up into it, Grace began to wring her hands and pace, worrying at her bottom lip. I watched her for a few moments, and just as I was about to ask her what was going on, she began to murmur to herself.

     'I can't do it,' she was saying. 'I just can't...'

     'Can't do what?' I said, and that seemed to startle her, because she stopped in her tracks and simply looked at me.

     'No.' She shook her head and dropped her eyes again. 'No. I can't. I won't.'

     'Grace.' I stepped in front of her, blocking her way when she started pacing again. 'I cannot see you this way. Please, tell me what the matter is.'