Chapter 2: Hiking Partners

Elijah

A half hour into the hike, I was exhausted.

My thighs burned from walking up and down slopes. Trying not to die was just hard.

Dad and I had chosen to do an evening hike, as it fit best with our plane schedule. The sun was gloriously setting over the rocks and the tour guide warned us to keep our flashlights, or phones, out. Thank god for the flashlight app, I thought, as I slipped my phone from my back pocket.

"As you can see here," the tour guide started, launching into a statement about rock types and even more about the formations of the Grand Canyon. A faint but constant sound of a stream filled my ears as I tilted my head to the side.

This was it. This was the desert's ocean.

Tiny streams, rivulets of water.

The desert doesn't have a lot of material to become an ocean, but it used what it had like a genius. A mastermind.

"Now,the sun has almost fully set, so I want you guys to all turn on your flashlights. I have extras in my pack, so we shouldn't run out,"the guide said to us, flipping on her flashlight.

"For this part of the hike, I always like to try a little something."She smiled at us, swinging the backpack back over her shoulder.Muscles in her arm ripples out. Damn, I thought. She's ripped! I always admired people who were dedicated enough to get that fit.

"I usually have everyone split up into partners. But!" she emphasized,getting our attention. "Try to partner with someone new. A stranger. Someone you haven't talked to. Now, I know there's a language barrier between some people, so I'll give them leeway. But the rest of y'all, get ready to split up!"

Shit, I thought. Partners? I've never been a partner person. I either hate the person I'm with or they just don't work like I want them to. I'm horrible with group projects and I can't stand some personality types.

Frantically,I look at my dad, hoping he'll wink at me and say "We can just stay together!"

No such luck.

My dad does look at me, but with an eager, mischievous look.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

"So,who are you going with?" Dad asks me.

"You?"I give a pointed look. He just smiles back.
"I think the group over there is speaking Spanish. I'm gonna try work on my language skills!"

I must've looked crestfallen because his look tempered. "You can join us if no one else is deemed worthy," he adds, before giving me a shoulder pat and a reassuring smile, then walking towards the group of Hispanics.

I look around. There are a bunch of adults, none of whom I feel comfortable talking with...

Then I notice him.

The boy from earlier is standing farther from his mother this time.. His feet are planted into small edge of a rock cliff, a corner of the Grand Canyon. Even though his posture is steady, he still looks haunted by the words that she had said to him

I frown.

Scolding effects didn't usually last that long, did they?

Before I consciously acknowledge it, I am walking toward him. I notice he had a few freckles around his face.

Kinda attractive, a voice in my mind says, but I bat it away, trying to think of what to say.

When I approach him close enough to hear, he was looking solemnly over the canyon. The last rays of sunshine bathed his face. Finals hints of pinks, yellows, and oranges had never looked so beautiful over such a canvas. I was staring in awe, unable to speak at how gorgeous the scene was.