#26

"It's my heart," I whispered. "And it's yours."

"M-mine?" she stuttered, seemingly unable to comprehend what I said.

I took a deep breath. I needed to say it clearly, say it in a way she will not misunderstand or think she's assuming.

I cupped her hand that was holding my heart in both of mine.

I prayed. And then, I took a leap.

"I love you," I said wholeheartedly while looking into her eyes.

She gasped and her eyes became glassy.

"I love you even though I am a mess. I'm still a mess. Things happened way too fast that I wasn't able to sort things out properly. I am a mess and I'm still broken. A part of me is still broken and definitely still loves Dennise."

I took another deep breath before caressing her hand.

"But I am in love with you. I don't know how long I've been in love with you. I don't know how much I love you. All I know is that I do. I love you. So my heart, the one you're holding and the one beating wildly in my chest for you, it's yours." I put my lips to her hand. "I-If you'll have it."

Every second that passed felt like a lifetime. And when she pulled her hand away, I swore my heart break. I think it was more painful than any previous heartaches I've experienced.

I took a step back with a sad smile. I guess it wasn't time.

"Alyssa," she said.

Alyssa. Not Babe. I steeled myself for another blow to my heart.

"I love you, too."

I blinked many times and gaped at her. I think she said something great because my heart was definitely racing madly but not painfully.

"I'm sorry. What?"

She chuckled before enclosing me in a tight hug. I felt some droplets of liquid in my shoulder. She was crying.

"I said, I love you, too," she whispered. "I love you. I love you. I love you."

"You...love me?" I whispered back, feeling like I was trapped in a wonderful dream.

I felt her chest vibrated with laughter.

"Sobra. Bakit di ka makapaniwala?"

She let me go and stared at my eyes directly while wiping her own tears and gave me a smile that was brighter than the sun. I was melting.

"Do you really?" I asked again. "I mean, I really am a mess and I can't offer you anything but my love right now."

"And that's more than enough," she replied. "I love you. All of you. And we're both a mess so it's fine."

My world started spinning as it all sank in to me. My heart wanted to burst with joy and there was like a bolt of energy coursing through me. So like a kid who just got the best gift in Christmas, I started jumping around and decided to share the good news.

"Yes! Yes! She said she-"

Mika's hand halted my shout.

"What are you doing?!" she asked with wide eyes and started to look around.

That was when I realized the stupidity I was about to do. People were already looking at us.

I took her hand off my mouth and entwined it with mine.