find yourself some road

"I just want to let you know, Tyler," Josh begins as he sets the tortillas on the table, "that my parents are a little... odd."

Tyler looks up at him. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Josh says carefully, bringing the tofu substitute for taco meat to the table, "they're scientists."

"So?"

"Like..." Josh scratches the back of his neck. "Like... well, they're eccentric."

Tyler blinks. "Like mad scientists?"

Josh snorts. "That's kind of a strong expression, but sure. Like mad scientists."

"So, would it be a good idea to give your mom a pot of zinnias, or no?" Tyler asks, holding up a flowerpot.

"I think my dad would like the zinnias more, actually," Josh says. "They're both geneticists, but he prefers working with plants to animals. My mom likes animals more."

"Will he mutate it?" Tyler asks somewhat anxiously, holding the zinnias tight to his chest.

Josh smiles at him, shaking his head. "I doubt it. And I can tell him not to mess with it anyways, if that helps any."

Tyler nods, setting the pot back down.

They're having Josh's parents over for dinner. Josh made tacos, complete with tofurkey, guacamole, cheese, and salsa. The salsa probably tastes a little funny, considering there are no onions or garlic, but Josh assured him that it's fine.

Josh is pulling some cloth napkins out of the cupboard when he suddenly straightens up, cocking his head. "Oh, they're here," he says, handing the napkins to Tyler before going to open the door.

Tyler frowns. He didn't hear anything.

He shrugs it off, though. He's never had the best ears.

"Ashley!" Josh says, giving the first person through the door a hug.

"Hey, Joshie," she says brightly. "Is this Tyler?" she asks, pointing.

"Yup," Josh says, turning his attention to another red haired girl coming through the door.

"I'm Ashley," the first girl says, making her way over to Tyler and holding out a hand.

Tyler shakes it. "I didn't realize Josh's sisters would be coming over, too," he says. He looks over at the table. "Although now that I think about it, he's set the table for six people."

Ashley laughs. "Yeah. My sister and my brother, actually."

Tyler nods. "Do you like flowers?"

Ashley blinks. "Sorry?"

"I was going to give your dad flowers," Tyler explains, gesturing to the pot of zinnias. "I didn't know you'd be coming."

"Well, yes, I like flowers, but you don't need to get me anything-"

"No, don't worry," Tyler reassures her. "I have a lot of flowers."

"He does have a lot of flowers," Josh agrees, closing the door.

"Really," Tyler says with a nod. "Do you have a favorite flower? What about you?" He turns to the other girl. "Or you," he adds belatedly, looking over at the boy who he assumes to be Josh's brother.

Josh's brother snorts, shaking his head. "I'm all right, thanks."

"I like hyacinths," the younger-looking sister pipes up.

Tyler smiles, nodding at her. "And you?" he asks Ashley.

She shrugs. "I like poppies, I suppose."