Chapter 8: The Spark

The dwarves began to free themselves from the wreckage. Reyna was struggling out from under the weight of the Great Goblin on top of her. Kili and Fili pulled her out from under the massive, dead Goblin.

"Are you alright?" Kili asked. It was only then that he got a look at the gashes on Reyna's back. They were deep, long and very painful-looking.

"I'm fine." she said bluntly. Reyna was obviously not fine. But, she was displaying her usual stubbornness.

Kili looked around the cavern and saw Goblins crawling down the walls.

"Gandalf!" he shouted, his deep brown eyes widening.

"There's too many! We cant fight them!" Dwalin cried. Reyna looked at the giant pile of wood and debris and an idea came to her mind.

"Get everyone out of the wreckage!" she shouted. All of the dwarves scrambled out and away from the pile. Reyna's eyes glowed white and the pile burst into flames. The flames grew higher and higher, licking the platforms above them.

"That's brilliant!" Fili exclaimed. Goblins were not huge fans of fire.

"This won't be enough. Only one thing will save us: daylight. Come on!" Gandalf said. The company followed Gandalf through a rock passage on the North side of the cave. Reyna took up the back and as they went, she collapsed the tunnel behind them. That should discourage any pursuers.

"Well, it appears that we have found someone that the Goblins hate more than us." Bofur said as they ran.

"Who?" Ori asked, confused. Thorin rolled his eyes. The answer was pretty obvious.

"Reyna." Bofur replied. She smiled slightly as they ran onwards. It felt good to know that the Great Goblin couldn't hurt anyone else.

They finally made it out of the mountain. Reyna buried the entrance and continued to run with the others. What she hadn't seen was Bilbo slip out into the open just in time. The hobbit was invisible.

The company came to a halt a good ways away from the mountainside. Reyna leaned against a tree, catching her breath after using so much energy. Nearby, Gandalf started counting the dwarves present.

"Five, six, seven, eight... Bifur, Bofur... that's ten...Fili, Kili, Reyna... that's thirteen and Bombur, that makes fourteen... Where's Bilbo? Where is our hobbit?" Gandalf said, slightly panicked. Reyna's eyes widened as she remembered the poor hobbit.

"He slipped away when we were captured." she said, her mind racing.

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" Gandalf bellowed.

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out his door. We will not be seeing our hobbit again. He is long gone." Thorin spat bitterly. Reyna could not force herself to believe the lead dwarf's words.

"That's not true. Master Baggins would not have simply left us to rot! Something must have happened." she said, the gears turning in her head. All of the dwarves stared at her.

"I'm going back in." the young Bender said, having come to a decision. The dwarves instantly started to protest.

"Reyna, the paths have collapsed. You cannot go back in. It would be suicide!" Thorin exclaimed, laying a hand on her arm. She wrenched it free from Thorin's grasp, her blue eyes wild.

"I don't care! I promised to protect him, and I've already failed! I'm not leaving him in the mercy of those damned Goblins. I will dig if I have to!" Reyna shouted. Bilbo took this opportunity to make himself known. He had listened to the whole thing and was touched by how much Reyna cared about him.