Milestones and Crossroads

All in all, despite their overloaded schedule and the increasing tension of trying to fly under the radar of the Inquisitors, Harry and Hermione somehow managed to keep on an even keel. If anything, staying busy provided a good distraction from their anxiety.

Sunday morning they had practiced apparating in the Room of Requirement with their friends under Dora's patient instruction. Nobody managed it that first morning - except for Fleur and Viktor as they already knew how - but Dora had assured everyone that almost nobody got it on the first try.

Then the afternoon had been taken up by a lengthy and intense training session with the Twins, Susan, Padma, and Hannah Abbot. The Potters had been worn out by the time evening rolled around, yet both of them were too wound up by the apprehension of what the second week of the term would bring to fall asleep.

Sure enough, when they entered the Transfiguration classroom on Monday, Amycus Carrow was sitting in the back with a clipboard. Hermione in particular found his presence quite distracting; every time Professor McGonagall addressed her directly she could hear the scratching of Mr Carrow's quill as he took notes.

McGonagall shot the Inquisitor a nasty glare which he returned with a sinister smirk. Harry scowled, certain that Mr Carrow was trying to intimidate Hermione.

"Wonder whose class he's going to 'inspect' next?" Harry muttered when lessons were finished. Hermione frowned, not having an answer. Each day was met with some trepidation, but they managed to make it to the end of the week without any more incidents.

And Saturday morning the Potters threw themselves back into work, meeting Dora and their friends in the Room of Requirement for another round of Apparition lessons. This time, the lessons were much more successful, and everyone except Neville managed to apparate at least once. Dora and Fleur both eased things along by first taking the younger students across the room by side-along apparition.

"Bloody Hell!" gasped Harry when he reappeared on the other side of the Room of Requirement, doubled over and looking like he was about to throw up. Hermione regarded Harry sympathetically, still appearing rather green herself.

"That was even worse than side-along apparition with Madam Pomfrey at the end of the Third Task," Harry griped. "I felt like my head was going to implode..."

"It's like being sucked through a straw..." Ginny agreed, who was still feeling quite ill. Luna gave her a comforting hug and kiss on the cheek. Surprisingly, Luna was the only one who hadn't felt sick after her first solo apparition.

"That was horrible..." moaned Parvati, who was struggling not to vomit.

"Well, you're all doin' very well, all things considered," Dora said encouragingly. "Apparating gets a bit better after you've done it a few times. It helps if you've 'ad a bit of experience with side-along apparition so you know 'ow it's supposed t'feel. If you 'adn't, it mighta taken you all a few more lessons..."

Besides Neville, Daphne was the only one still struggling to twist into nothingness. Even Jennifer had managed to apparate. As she had been apparated by Dumbledore once already when he had rescued her and brought her to Hogwarts, Jennifer was able to remember how it was supposed to feel when it worked.

"Alright Daphne, let's give it another go together then," Dora kindly offered. She took Daphne's arm, and with a loud crack they disappeared, reappearing seconds later with another noisy pop.

After a few minutes recovering, Daphne focused her intent with the destination firmly in mind. She turned on the spot and vanished. Moments later Daphne appeared next to the rest of the others and promptly emptied the contents of her stomach on the floor.