74

Sarin didn't think now was a good time to point out that Kita had made her this way. Unless, Kita was indeed trying to make the person she wished she could be. Sarin wasn't sure how she felt about that. Flattered. Still wouldn't that only breed contempt?

"Kita, sweetie, it's ok. We—"

Sarin looked up and realized Kita was gone. She glided around. She looked down and the cloud shifted. A black shape was hurling towards the ground. Sarin flapped her wings, rolled over, and dove after Kita.

Kita was in a flat spin, plummeting through the cloud. Having trouble keeping visual contact because of the cloud cover, Sarin dove as fast as she could. In a break in the clouds, Sarin could see Kita only a hundred yards ahead.

Catching up to Kita in the middle of the cloud, Sarin reached out and grabbed Kita's arm. In response, Kita yanked herself away. The ground became a concern for Sarin. She had no idea how close they were. I don't want to find out the hard way. She rolled over, slide under Kita, and grabbed her by the wings. Kita struggled, but Sarin opened her wings, arresting their decent and taking them up in a large arc.

Kita struggled, but gave up after a while. Back high in the clouds, Sarin let her go.

"Why couldn't you have just let me go?" Kita yelled.

"And have to go down to the surface and have to explain to all your soldiers, friends, and partner that I just let you fall to your death. I'd rather race you head long into the ground," Sarin yelled back.

"Fine, leave me alone." Kita said. She turned around and sulked.

"No, I won't. You're not a failure. You've got thousands of people down there who'd beg to differ. No one sees the events of the last few weeks as your failure. We were caught flatfooted and unaware. It's only because you train your people to think on their own that they came looking for us and were resourceful enough to come get us. If it wasn't for your leadership I couldn't have taken over when you and Snowy went down. For everything put in our path to destroy us, our walking out of that exit shows we're not failures. Failures would still be down there being munched on by a raptor.

"Don't say you want to be me, you made me. If you're going to hate me for it, I'll have Omega remove as much of it as possible. I love you the way you are, but how many times do we have to tell you this before it gets through that thick head of yours?" Sarin reached out and knocked on Kita's forehead.

The gesture shocked Kita. "It will always be at least once more," Kita answered after a long silence.

"No, screw that. You know it, you're just afraid to admit it. You're not being humble, you're being stupid. If you admit it, then you've got to expect it from yourself. If you expect it from yourself, it shows you have confidence in yourself. You're arrogant when it comes to your combat skills. You need to start thinking that way about your leadership skills. Those skills are going to be more important. Everything flows from you, including confidence. Even if you don't feel it, you need to learn to fake it. The rest of us aren't going to put with this self doubting routine." Sarin cocked her head to one side and gave Kita a sly smile.

Kita nodded and looked down at the cloud below.

"It's not that bad, I swear," Sarin said giving her a hug.

Kissing Kita a few times on the cheek, Sarin held her hoping she'd feel better. The soft kisses at the nap of her neck caught her by surprise. As they climbed up her neck, she felt the nice tingle go up her spine that caused her to take in a deep breath. Kita's lips found hers and the soft kisses quickly became deeper. Picking her up, Kita wrap her legs around her. Kita's kisses become hungrier and Sarin was happy to oblige.