chapter XI

“H-he-hello?” his voice seemed exasperated, as if the contact through whatever device he was using had startled him with sudden connection.

“Quintley,” I started. “You have some explaining to do. Don’t even bother to track this signal that I'm using to contact you. You’ve hacked it once; we know how to keep you out now.”

He laughed a short, brisk chortle. “You sound like the bloody FBI. Funny, really. I think you could work for them—you’re smart enough to—“

“Focus!”

“Right, right.” He cleared his throat. “You really have KASNA, don’t you?”

“KASNA doesn’t exist anymore.” I stated calmly, watching VOCOM warily as she glared at me with seething, radiating discontempt. She was amazingly quiet, although I could tell Quintley was already pressing her patience, as he was mine. I assumed it only a matter of time before she snapped at Britain’s Boy. “Answer my questions. Now.”

“Vera, you’re insane. You have to tell me where in the bloody blazes you are! You come back to Kortan for what reason? Snoop around and then flee like some lad setting fire to himself? You can’t just expect me to—“

“Shut up a minute, would you?” I snapped, glaring at the wall and trying not to rub my forehead raw from stress. “Where are you? Kortan?”

There was a slight, momentary pause. “Aren’t you tracking my signal?”

“No, as mutual agreement. Not that you could trace me anyways—“

“Then tell me where the hell you are! It’s ridiculous that—“

“Quintley!” I groaned. I knew this would’ve been a mistake. He was too ADD and chatty to focus for more than a minute on the same thing. “Focus,” I repeated, stressing each syllable. “How did you know about the signal? The communicator’s signal.”

“Well, I was trying to trace the transistor signals ‘cause they suddenly took off like bats out of hell, so I thought maybe somethin’ was up, y’know, and I found yours with it—I thought that was strange so I looked into it. It looked encrypted like a phone’s, so I hacked it, and guess who ended up on the other end? The very person I’ve been trying to find for—“

“Look, this is the last time I’m using this signal before I blow it up, so don’t bother yourself with it. Or trying to find me.” I placed my hands on my hips, grimacing. I wasn’t in the mood for his bickering. “Are you at Kortan?” I asked again. But I pondered secretly to myself why it even mattered where he was. This was the only time I’d speak to him—much less go out and see him. Perhaps I was afraid of --no. I was not going to rue killing him.

If it happened, then well . . . it happened. There was no point in crying over it. I had many marks against him for it to make much difference.

He hesitated. “Why?” his question mocked my thoughts.

“Because I want an answer, that’s why.” I gushed.

“Vera, that doesn’t make any sense.” He sighed and paused again. “You’re going to kill me, aren’t you?”

My cheeks heated immediately, as if I had just been caught stealing cookies from the jar. How did he even guess? “If you don’t get out of the damn way—“

“I’ll obliterate you myself you blabbering fool!” VOCOM cut in, harshly with her sneering voice. “You’re getting on my worst nerve! Just answer her damn question!”

I cast her a sideways glance. So she was just as curious as I was. I resisted speaking to her on that. I was sure I’d receive nothing but a cynical, sharp remark.