Chapter Two

“I know what you’re thinking,” Occult said, eyes giving off a sinister purple glow.

Occult was ten years old with short black hair and even bangs hanging above her eyes. Her entire wardrobe consisted of dark purple shirts and skirts, and black pantyhose and shoes. She looked innocent enough when she faked an adoring smile, but she had no qualms in invading other people’s thoughts and using their secrets against them. Even if one gathered enough courage to approach her, her four muscled bodyguards were enough to drive any challenger away.

“No, you don’t,” Nocte replied casually, waving her younger sister aside.

They were in the dining room — six o’clock — sharp. The chandelier above the room gave a nice sheen to the porcelain plates and silverware, highlighting the polish of the mahogany table and the cleanliness of the large windowpanes. Taking up one side of the wall was an intricate tapestry depicting a humble image of world domination, a scenario that went well with the thick, blood-red rug on the floor. The rug was their mother’s pride and joy, the perfect colour to mask any bloodstain, human or otherwise. (Sometimes heroes liked to interrupt their meals. Naturally, the Yins didn’t quite take to the idea.)

Occult was unperturbed by Nocte’s dismissal and continued, “You’re thinking it’s unreasonable for mother and father to send you off to a school you don’t wish to attend.”

Sometimes, Occult thought too highly of herself, even when she was right. Nocte fought back the urge to kick her from under the table, concentrating on their mother instead. Malise was, of course, absolutely delighted by the turnout, sharing a smile with their father that suggested something more after dinner. It had been a long time since the family had had a descent meal together, seeing as three of the five Yin children lived elsewhere.

“No, I wasn’t,” Nocte returned offhandedly — she was used to her sister trying to read her mind. After years of living with a deranged family full supernatural powers and ungodly intelligence, Nocte had built up an immunity to their ways. For Occult to be able to read her mind would be impossible. “I was thinking about why the fork was so shiny.”

Ebony snickered.

Ebony was twenty years old and had wavy hair to her shoulders, and the same seductive gaze as their mother. She dressed casually enough, long black skirt and a black turtle neck. She was elegant and poised, known to be kind to kin, but cruel to naysayers. Nocte watched Ebony pick food from her plate and drop it to the floor. Hecate, Ebony’s cat and familiar, munched it up before snaking under the table again, a streak of black.

Occult directed an unimpressed look at Ebony, not appreciating the interruption.

“Oh, by the way,” Ebony said, completely ignoring Occult, “congratulations on being accepted to Evil Academy.” She flipped her hair back. “I remember when I was there.”

“I remember too,” Nocte said.

Indeed, she remembered. Ebony had been one of the Top Forty in her class. She was pretty, popular and devious rolled into one wicked witch. She had also, being Miss Perfect and all, graduated two years early and became the talk of the town. Killing the former Wicked Witch of the Southeast and nabbing the corner seat for herself on her first try made her the talk of the town for another year. Death by a falling house was inventive.