chapter two

"If you eat me, then I'll die. Which means that I won't need to take that fucking bio test tomorrow, or finish my lit essay. And you guys will all probably be, like, labelled as killer wolves and people'll come to kill you. So, really. Who loses here? Not me."

They're all still staring at her, and Skai thinks that some of them even look amused. And really, if she were in their position, she'd just get on with it and kill the dumbass running her mouth.

She's tired, is the thing. She's tired to the point of deliriousness, which means that she's only half aware of the bullshit coming out of her mouth just to stall. She's not daft enough to think she'd be able to outrun them, but she does know that she's still got three advantages that they don't.

But using said advantages would mean exposing herself, and she doesn't know if that's wise, be it allies or not.

They're really intimidating. Their eyes follow her every miniscule movement, and no matter what she does or where she looks, five pairs of eyes follow her.

Initially, she thought that she'd been imagining their massive silhouettes in the dark of the night. As her eyes adjusted to the lack of light, though, she knows that she wasn't imagining anything. They were massive, all standing at at least 5'4", and that's whilst their own their four paws. God only knew how tall and gigantic they were if they stood on their hind legs to attack someone. Skai didn't really intend to find out, if she were being honest.

She just didn't know if she'd be lucky enough to never know how tall they were when standing on their hind legs to attack someone, because they were still watching her every flipping movement. 

She looks at one particular wolf, and all of their eyes follow wherever she'd just turned her head, and if the one that she was looking at wasn't happy with her looking, it/he/she would growl and the others would follow suit and it'd end in a low rumble that echoes around through the forest.

That was another giveaway that they weren't normal wild wolves; the fact that they hadn't attacked yet. They were waiting for something, Skai wasn't so sure what, but she was waiting that whatever they were waiting for came back with 'don't kill the girl'.

And then it's like one of them had read her thoughts and decided to prove her wrong, because then there was one massive brown body lunging towards her with its lips pulled up into a snarl.

Skai takes a step back, hands raised, just about ready to defend herself, but the attack never comes.

There's another growl, this one full of power and authority, something even she can feel in her bones, and the one that had lunged at her is suddenly no longer in front of her— but slumped against the bark of a tree, whining.

The one that growled is suddenly in front of her, its massive body shielding her from the others and Skai... doesn't know what to do with this, but she's rolling with it.

"Leave," the one with the fur that's as black as night that's in front of her thinks, and his voice is something that makes her heart skip a beat, and Skai's wondering what he's thinking that for when she gets her answer, in the form of five other voices chorusing protests.

"She isn't human."

"You can smell it on her."

"She's trespassing on our territory."

"She could be a threat. To all of us."

"She's something else."

"SILENCE," is boomed out then, from the one in front of her, and even she almost flinches from the power behind it.