Chapter 5

The noise of a rat brought her back to her senses

The noise of a rat brought her back to her senses. Judging by the awful smell of the place and its darkness, Luna guessed that she was now locked up in the mists of a dungeon. Ares's daughter stood up from the wet floor disgusted, not being certain of the origin of the liquid in which she slumbered on.

The only lights around the area came from the cell located beside. Her curiosity guided her closer to the privileged prisoner —who was in fact the only person around the area who possessed candles— it was a young lady about her age, whose persona seemed to have such innocence. It made you wonder what was the background story of it all.

The privileged prisoner was clearly a high born woman, you could tell by her fine clothes. Quite out of place. The young woman wrote a letter with the poor dim of light.

"Hello?" Luna called to her, the lady with the fine gown and long red locks turned to her right side with the intention to see what was it about. A smile formed by the corners of the maiden's lips, most pleased to finally have some company. The noble lady grabbed the note that she wrote and got closer to Luna. "You don't seem like the criminal type." The amazon commented playfully.

The girl handed Luna the letter and looked deep into her eyes as a cry for help, instead of replying to her statement. She just let her eyes do the talking.

Luna read the desperate maiden's letter, since she begged with her body language.

Dear sister,

I'm still alive and trapped in the dungeons unable to speak to anyone and spread the truth. I refused King Tereus, for he is married to you and did not think about the consequences. He forced himself into me, then cut off my tongue so I would be unable to tell the tale and locked me up to rot in this hideous place. Please save me.

—Philomela

"This is horrible." Luna's heart started to beat faster, he would feel her wrath. Philomela simply nodded unable to do much.

The sound of someone heading towards the direction of the cells interrupted their encounter. Philomela quickly hid her letter and Luna went back to her formal state, faking that she was still lying unconscious on the cold-wet floor.

As the mysterious figure got closer, the amazon managed to see who it was. Perseus had to make his way to see his bewitcher once again.

He stood right in front of her cell, she rolled her eyes and broke eye contact. The General was quite handsome but that did not make the sight of him a pleasant thing to Luna.

"Must say that you are quite the show." Perseus said with a smile on his face, as he carefully analyzed her unusual eyes.

Ares's daughter sighed in annoyance, not wanting to get engaged into a conversation with the General of the troop that had taken her prisoner for no solid reason.

"What must one do in order to get a word out of that voluptuous mouth of yours?" He asked shamelessly.

"What would one be willing to do?" She spat, still with her eyes glued to her crossed arms.

"The sound of your voice is indeed as beautiful as the sight of you." He continued, "So anything in order to keep hearing it more often."

"What I want is simple." Luna finally stood up and got closer to him, willing to use her beauty and his weakened mind to achieve her goal.

"Is that so?" He got closer to the metal barriers that tore them apart and caressed her pale cheek with his thumb.

"Just deliver a letter to your queen." Luna slowly placed her hand on Perseus's chest, and went on. "King Tereus's wife."

"May I ask what's the matter?" He blushed.

"No, you may not. Just do as I say." The amazon ran her fingers through the general's black curls.

"What will I get?"

"We shall see." Luna read his blue eyes, carefully, with the intention to decode them and see if he was truly trust worthy. Her intuition never failed her, but this one time she was not certain. Their eye contact was intense, they both doubted each other's words but in the end they simply gave up, and let desire dominate their brains. Ares's daughter finally gave him Philomela's letter, without breaking eye contact. "Off you go." She whispered on Perseus's ear, knowing too damn well, that that little charity work of hers could either end up in a tragic way or help a desperate soul.