Innocence Lost

A girl....

A lake...

And a tragic incident....

Innocence Lost

I closed my eyes and let the breeze hit me. 

How long am I going to keep doing this?

Water started pooling around my feet from the rising tide.

Until it's over.

A face flashed before my eyes. I smiled remembering those blue eyes and soft blonde hair.

Nathan.

Then he was here. We were here. Standing on the side of the lake in our clothes. Other me looked in to his eyes and smiled. He smiled back taking her hand in his.

"This is the only way?" it came out more like a question than a statement. Her hand quivered in anticipation but his was still.

"You know how our parents think of this. Of us. They won't let it happen no matter what."he replied  taking a step foreward. The water started lapping at calves.

"I know. They already started fighting. Yesterday Christy woke up and her room was trashed. Someone spraypainted the word 'Slut' across her window. We all knew who did it." she admitted sullenly also taking a step.

"Those bastards." he muttered. "Who do they think they are? Threatening the families of the person I love just because of some petty feud in high school." We both took another step closer. The water reached our knees.

"They don't care about us, their stupid war is more important. I wish they would stop and see how much it hurts."

Step. It was at our thighs.

"But they won't."

Step. It covered our waists.

"Can't they see how happy we are?"

Step. Our stomachs were gone.

"I guess not."

Step. It tugged at our chests.

"I love you Penny."

Step. My shoulders could feel it now.

"I love you too, Nathan."

Step. Only my head was above.

"Just one more step right?" I smiled.

"Just one more step." he whispered. He leaned down and kissed her for the last time. Tears ran down my face and his too. We took the last step in together and lavished the sensation of water flowing over our heads. We were still kissing when he took his final breath.

Everything was growing dimmer when I was ripped out of the water. My brother was holding me to his chest. He thought he had saved me. I started to scream and bite his fingers. Surprised he loosened his grip but that was enough.

"Nathan!" I screamed, swimming as fast as I could. My brother was yelling at me to come back but I ignored him. I was a arm's length away when he pulled me back. I screamed and shouted for him to let go but he kept pulling me away. Suddenly the sand beneath my feet turned to stone. I was back on the land and still alive. And without Nathan. 

"Penny!" a voice called out from behind me. I opened my eyes again. They were wet with tears. Quickly, I wiped away the tears and smile.

"Yes, John?"

My husband gave me his hand and helped me down from the rock. "What were you doing up there? You could've killed yourself."

"No, I wouldn't."

"I know you're careful but you should be thinking about our family," he said putting a hand on my stomach. "He's almost here."

"Yeah," I said smiling down, rubbing my round stomach.

"Did you think of any names yet? We know it's going to be a boy." he said kissing me on the lips.

My smile grows wider. "I have one in mind."