Chapter 22

The fleet had surrounded us and dropped the network of rickety gang planks between their vessels. Leo and Sam had brought a table and a few chairs up from below deck so i could give my weak legs a break as the crews rushed towards me.

Several times I was reminded of how worried i'd had them all and how much they've missed me. Captain Gregory was the last to visit.

"You look much better than the last time i visited." He smiled warmly.

"Thank you, i do appreciate every one of you who had visited me over the past few weeks." I returned his smile.

"It didn't sit well with the Captains to leave you wounded with the dangers of the open waters. We stayed in case your boys needed help."

"And now where will you go?"

"Sam hasn't told told you yet?" He arched his brow as he turned and tutted at Sam.

"She's only just woken up. It hardly seemed like good timing." He shrugged.

"What is it?" I asked curiously as i glanced between the two men.

"We sail with The Maelstrom now lassie. We've never been better off than as a fleet. We've named it after you, you know. Lillian's Avengers."

"You what?" I chuckled in confusion.

"We've all agreed. The next best move is to stick together. No one wants to leave your side Lillian. Every pirate port knows who you are, and what you've done. They all want to be a part of the action. They all want to sail under your fleets flag." Sam pointed to a wonderful flag I hadn't seen before.

The beautifully painted Lilly swayed in the wind, the beautiful contrast of the pink and blue colors against the black material seemed even lovelier with the large white hand print on the bottom corner.

I laughed at the symbolism behind it. "I really didn't intend for this to happen. I only wanted to repay my dues to the people i grew up with."

"And in doing so, you've built your name as Lillian, Princess of land and sea. Because of you the Caspian people have set up trade routes and alliances amongst the pirates. We are now welcomed in their city with open arms as their saviors." Gregory replied as he leaned back casually in his chair.

"That's great!" I smiled at the news. "But I'm still not quite sure how i feel about all of this."

Gregory chuckled. "How you feel about it does not matter. What matters is that they are hundreds of men out there eager to sail beneath your flag."

"But I'm not even a Captain! I'm only a first mate."

"Wrong you are lassie." Leo chuckled as he propped his boots up on the table.

"The men voted. They voted for you to be promoted and for you to be given your own ship to lead at the head of this fleet. We were on our way to the Caspian city to check on the alterations to the vessel they've been working on." Sam explained. "You are in fact a Captain. They've even chosen your name. Captain Dread, leader of Lillian's mighty fleet."

"Captain Dread?" I repeated.

"Aye, 'cause ye be one pirate no one wants to cross. They dread yer wrath. No one has forgotten how ye vowed to make the king pay and followed through 'til the end." Leo winked.

"I suppose it sounds less dark and evil when you put it that way." I laughed. "But I hardly even know how to be a first mate. How am I supposed to be a good Captain?"

Gregory smiled as he stood and placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "You didn't know how to lead this many men into battle, but you proved yourself worthy when every last one of these boys returned with their lives. You are a natural born leader. A Princess no less. You'll have every last one of us behind you if you begin to doubt yourself." He bowed his head respectfully before turning to leave.

I let this new information sink in as i watched the Captain recede into the crowd.

"You really think I can do this? Honestly?" I asked, uncertain that I could.

"The Captains have already agreed to do the recruiting for you. They've also given you one man from each of their ships to get you started. There's Leo, Sebastien, Harry, Rich, Charles- a fine doctor, Scrum, Tony and a few others. You'll only need a few other men to complete your crew." He smiled reassuringly. "Now, I believe you need to be getting some rest. We'll be arriving at the Caspian port by tomorrow afternoon, then you will see your new ship."

Sam gazed out to sea, an eager grin on his face, one that I could not help but match.

There will be plenty more adventures! I can feel it in my bones.