5: Above All Else.

*Listen to the song up ahead while you read*

➖🌹➖

"This," I point to Tatum, "is not what it looks like."

Sasi's lip quivered, something that only happened when she was really sad, or in this case, really mad. "Maybe you should go," she said looking over at Tatum, placing a hand firmly on her hip.

"We weren't doing anything." Tatum persisted, taking a brisk step out of the closet.

"Seems like doing something to me." Sasi snarled back. "Please, just go."

Tatum hesitated for a moment, like she wanted to say something. Then she looked back at me, her eyes dark and slightly widened. I wanted desperately to hear what she was thinking; reach inside of her head and push the thoughts right out of her mouth.

Georgie maneuvered beside me to grab her purse from a hook then grabbed hold of Tatum's arm, pulling her out of the door.

"I'll get going too," Kingsley said eyeing me with suspicion. He shoves his phone deep into the pocket of his jeans then follows suit behind Tatum and Georgie.

The sound of the door slamming behind them resonated in my ears. I take a deep breath, preparing myself for the confrontation to follow.

"¿Qué estabas haciendo en el armario con esa chica? Hm? What were you doing with her?" Sasi asks, placing a finger on my chest.

"It was nothing," I grab hold of her hand, but quickly, she rips it away. "let's not argue about this."

"You expect me to believe that you were in the closet with her and nothing happened?"

I take a deep breath, aware of how absurd the truth sounds. "Yes."

"Liar." she argues. "Seems like every time I catch you with a girl nothing happened."

My jaw clenches. I knew she'd bring this up. Okay, maybe I wasn't exactly the most faithful guy in the past. I've given my number to a few girls who've come into The Sprinkle Shack, and maybe I've hooked up a time or two. But to be fair, Sasi and I weren't exactly together at the time. Sure, we'd gone on a couple of dates, but she wasn't my girlfriend.

"Why do bring that up every time?" I say walking out of the closet, moving swiftly past her in the process.

"No matter how much you try to pretend in front of your friends that you're the perfect guy, or the perfect boyfriend. I know the truth. I know the kind of guy you are."

"If you think I'm such a horrible person then why do you stay with me?" I ask, annoyance now relevant in my voice.

She quiets at this an unreadable expression on her face.