3

“i said, ‘girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing? i made you a present with paper and string. open with care now, i’m asking you, please. you know that I love you, will you marry me?’”

Hoseok had known for years that Kim Areum was his soulmate, and vise versa. No fear of the two falling out ever crossed either of their minds. Both had passed their training, and were well on their way to achieving their dreams. When Hoseok debuted with his group, Areum was officially enrolled into the police force. They shared an apartment together in the center of Seoul, making sure that the building had roof access. They didn’t live lavishly, but they didn’t live poor either; they supported each other, and stayed above the wave of debt.

Their lives together were never better, and they soon approached their 5 year anniversary, happy and content in their relationship. Hoseok had spent 3 months searching for the perfect ring, something that deserved to be worn on her left hand for the rest of their lives; something that deserved her. He decided on a silver band that had tiny diamonds on the sides, and a large stone surrounded by other smaller ones. He also picked up a bouquet of roses, placing the box in the middle of the delicate flowers.

Hoseok took his long time girlfriend up to their apartment rooftop, the city if Seoul below was brightly lit, as it was a Friday night. The air was a bit chilly, so Hobi slid his arms out his jacket, placing it on the shoulders of Areum, making a smile appear on her face as his scent and warmth surrounded her. Their fingers intertwined, her head resting in his shoulder as they sat in the bench near the railing of the building’s edge. The sound of cars and laughter from the street filled the silence, the two enjoying each other’s company.

After about 15 minutes of silence, Hoseok stood, his knees starting to shake, along with his hands. He walked over to the corner of the building, pulling out the bouquet of roses he had hidden, then made his way back to his girlfriend, who watched his every move. He offered her his hand, which she accepted, letting herself be pulled up, a smile setting in her face.

“I love you to the moon and back.” He handed her the roses, a smile also on his face. He watched as she picked up the card he placed above the box, she opened it, reading the note sprawled in fountain pen.

happy 5 year anniversary, kim areum.

Areum started to tear up as she read it, and nearly started bawling as she saw the small, velvet box hidden between the roses. She shakily pulled it out, to which Hoseok took it and rubbed his thumb over it, looking into her now teary, shiny eyes.

He got down onto one knee, a smile taking over both of their faces, Areum’s hand lifting to cover her mouth when he popped the top open. The ring sat there in the cushion, the stars and moonlight making it sparkle and gleam. As Hoseok spoke, the two started to cry.

I am not really know for ever being speechless, but now somehow my words roll off my tounge right onto your lips. I’m keeping cool while you keep smiling, saying all the things I’m thinking. I am like you, so I want proof on what you’re feeling. ’Cause if I want you — and I want you —, ain’t going backward, won’t ask for space; ’cause space is just a word made up by someone who’s afraid to get close. So, Kim Areum, will you get close to me, and be my lovely wife?”

Areum’s tears were flowing so hard, she could barely muster the yes she paired with the nodding of her head. She kept a grip on the roses with her right hand as she held out her left hand. Hoseok slipped the ring onto her finger, happiness taking over his entire body from the knowledge he was going to marry the girl he loved more than himself.

He took the roses from her, placing them on the bench, then wrapping his arms around her frame. She reached to his chest, and fit in it like a glove. He kept a close grip on her, running his hand along her hair. She wrapped her hands around his neck, locking them behind. She stood on her toes and he leaned to meet her halfway, their lips meeting, the entire world seeming to stop moving for them. When they pulled away for air, they looked into each other’s eyes, both wet with tears and filled with happiness. Areum sunk down into his chest, listening to his quick heartbeat. He placed a kiss to her forehead, then started to sway the two of them to his singing, stroking her hair once again.

“Do I look lonely? I see the shadows on my face, people have told me, I don't look the same. Maybe I lost weight, I'm playing hooky, with the best of the best. Pull my heart out my chest, so that you can see it too.

I'm walking the long road, watching the sky fall; the lace in your dress, tangles my neck. How do I live?

The death of a bachelor, letting the water fall. The death of a bachelor, seems so fitting for happily ever after. How could I ask for more? Lifetime of laughter, at the expense of the death of a bachelor

I'm cutting my mind off, feels like my heart is going to burst. Alone at a table for two, and I just want to be served, and when you think of me, am I the best you've ever had? Share one more drink with me, smile even though you're sad

I'm walking the long road, watching the sky fall; the lace in your dress, tangles my neck. How do I live?

The death of a bachelor, letting the water fall. The death of a bachelor, seems so fitting for happily ever after. How could I ask for more? Lifetime of laughter, at the expense of the death of a bachelor

The death of a bachelor, letting the water fall. The death of a bachelor, seems so fitting for happily ever after. How could I ask for more? Lifetime of laughter, at the expense of the death of a bachelor.”