❝oh my disney❞ » chapter eleven

"At least out loud, I won't say I'm in love." - Hercules

        "LISTEN WILL, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did when you asked me out. I'm just really caught up with something else right now, and it's making me act like an insane person. Would you maybe like to go and have coffee as friends sometime when I'm not a wreck in a princess dress?

        (If only it were that easy to say it to his face.)

        I was standing in front of the mirror in my dressing room, trying to practice what I was going to say to Will when I saw him before the show. So far, I'd come up with about a thousand stupid ways to word how sorry I was - and hated every single one of them. Was this how normal people practiced their apologies? Or did normal people even practice their apologies? At this point, I didn't even care - I knew that I was far from the society's mutual definition of normal. All I was doing now was going over what I'd say, in hopes that it would become coherent enough by the time Will came around.

        "I don't know..." A voice from my doorway startled me, and I spun around to find Will himself leaning against the doorframe, looking less than pleased with me. I couldn't exactly blame him - I wasn't too crazy about myself at the moment, either. "Do you think Max would mind?"

        I sighed, "Will, I honestly don't know what you're talking about."

        "You must be really clueless, huh?" he sounded annoyed. "Everyone at this park knows that you two are obviously head over heels - stop playing dumb and just admit it; you like Max, and he likes you."

        I crossed my arms defensively. "I do not like Max!"

        Will looked unconvinced. "Really? You run around with him all day, watch the fireworks with him - and he even comes to see the show every other day now. Did you really think that nobody would notice?" he asked, and I gaped at him, fuming.

        I put down my frying pan. "Alright, let's just get one thing straight here - I am not clueless. I am not head over heels or playing dumb or any of that crap, and even if I was, I wouldn't have to justify it to you if you were truly my friend. But you are my friend and my co-worker, and I like you a lot too in my own way, and I don't want this or anything to get between us," I ranted, throwing my hands up in the air with a "so there" thrown in for good measure.

        Will was speechless. "I like you a lot, Alice," was all he could say.

        I frowned, looking at the floor guiltily. "I'm sorry."

        "Don't be sorry," he smiled, sitting down and motioning for me to come and sit next to him. "I'm not, and I'll be fine. I was never really mad about that, anyway - everything you said was true. We're friends, and friends don't lie to each other. It's all of this pretending that I'm not a fan of - the lying to me when I already know the truth."

        "I'm not lying! Do I have to spell it out for you? Because I'd be happy to, really."

        "Alice, just admit it-"

        "I-D-O N-O-T-L-I-K-E-M-A-X. Are you getting the picture yet?"

        "As much as that really did illuminate the subject, no. I'm not going to leave until you tell me the truth."

        "Well, then I guess you better sit down, because we're going to be here for a while," I retorted out of habit, only realizing that I'd said the exact same thing to Max once when we were in this same spot. "And even if I did like him, that's not going to work out anymore. He hates me."