Normal or Not?

The next few days Severus and I didn't talk much. It seemed like everything had gone back to normal. It was almost like I was just a student again. All the kids still talked behind my back about how the teacher had a crush on me with all the staring, but I didn't mind one bit, or at least I pretended it didn't anyway. I knew the truth and if they didn't want to listen (Not that I would tell anyway) then I would care less to listen to the lies they would tell. 

On the other hand it annoyed me that Severus was ignoring me. We hadn't talked since that first and only bout of occlumency. It was almost torturous. I just wanted to talk to him. I wanted to figure out what he was up to. I wanted to know. I don't know what I wanted to know, just something. So, tonight I was going to talk. Talk whether he liked it or not. 

It was at the end of potions class. I got up and started to leave, but I couldn't. There was no point in waiting for night either. I wanted my answers, and sooner was better than later. "Severus, we need to talk." Well that was a bad opener on my part, it must have sounded like I was about to break up with him. "We haven't talked for weeks. What have you been up to? Why have you been ignoring me?" 

"I've been looking for a cure to protect you from your mother. I found something, but it requires a lot of studying. It's more advanced than any potion I've ever seen. " 

"So you haven't been sneaking around with other girls?" 

"I wouldn't dream of it Erica," he said dryly, but I didn't care. His word was good enough for me. 

"So is there anyway I could help you with this Severus?" 

"Actually...yes. How about you come down after all of your classes and we'll work on it together. Until then I'll work on the parts that I don't need your help with." 

"Sounds like a date."

I showed up after my classes as promised to meet with Severus, and as he had promised, he was hard at work on the potion. "Oh, Erica, you're here. I'm just about done with the parts I can't do without you and--" he stopped to put a vial of something dirty brown, and then another of a light blue into the cauldron. "Now I need your help." He gave the potion a stir with his wand. 

"What do I need to do?" 

"Well, this potion requires several parts of what your muggles would call 'DNA'. That being said, we need some of your hair." I didn't argue and pulled out a few pieces and threw them in with the rest of the ingredients. 

"What next?" 

"Let's see...maybe some saliva." 

I spit into the pot. "What next?" 

"The last thing we need from you is...blood." 

I swallowed. "Al--alright...but...I don't want to hurt myself..." 

"I was afraid of that. I've gotten a pin. I'm going to count to three. When I get to three I will poke you and then I'll squeeze your finger and get a drop of blood out." 

I swallowed again. "Okay. I trust you." 

"One..." He poked me. 

"What happened to two and three?!" 

"I thought you would be nervous." 

I stopped myself from cussing. "Fine. Anything else you need me for?" 

"Sadly, this is the hardest part of all. We need to go to your mothers grave, exhume her tomb, and get the same from her." 

"Dude! That's insane. And sick. Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're kidding me!" 

"I can't truthfully say that I am. Erica, this is the only way to save your life. You need to be in on this with me." 

"I don't want to, but I guess I have to." I told him the location of the grave. "Do I have to go with you?" 

"I guess not, but I don't want to go alone." 

"Severus..." I whined. 

"I won't make you." 

"I guess I have to. She IS my mother. No matter how evil she really is. Okay Severus, I'll go." 

"One last question. When is your next Hogsmade trip?" 

"This Wednesday why?" 

"We leave then."