winter queen

THE SKY WAS DARK

THE SKY WAS DARK.

A little girl stood clutching her mother's hand, a black shawl draped over her frail frame. The streets were filled with accusing eyes, deep snarls and loathing sneers.

"What did we do?" she whispered, her pale, white eyes frightened as she peeked out from under her mother's arm. Her mother's gaze hardened. "They found out." she breathed, lips aquiver.

The little girl stifled a gasp as her fingers unconsciously tightened around her mother's wool coat. Her body shook as a dark shadow overcame her face.

"Who did you tell?" her mother hissed, her eyes ablaze.

"No one." The little girl avoided her gaze, guilt evident in her face. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to escape the pain of the betrayal that tormented every moment of her existence.

Why? She thought bitterly. Why would you tell them? Didn't we promise to be together forever?

A lone tear trickled down her cheek, her heart aching. She condemned herself for her utter stupidity and naivety to entrust her darkest secret to someone he didn't care. And now, that same idiocy would cost her and her parent's lives.

The mother closed her eyes, letting out a trembling sigh. She didn't know better, she told herself, extinguishing any anger directed at her daughter.

But now they'd have to pay.

The little girl's eyes were hollow and red from crying and pleading as the merciless men dragged her and her mom from the haven of their home.

Her father was already murdered.

The pair neared the podium, stumbling as they climbed the stairs, boots tapping out a desperate morse code of "help us" on the wooden steps. Sharp swords jabbed into their backs, forcing them forward.

The man in the black suit stood in front of them. His eyes were cold, unforgiving. There was a faint trace of a smirk etched on his face. His eyes flickered to his men, raising his hand with a slight nod of confirmation.

The little girl and her mother were each thrust against two wooden poles. Ropes began to curl around their waist, their ankles, burning against their skin. Their hands lay limp at their sides, unable to resist. The little girl's breathing quickened, letting out involuntary soft whimpers.

"Evil witches," The crowd sneered under their breaths. "You all deserve to die."

Fear scintillated in her eyes.

She was slowly raised up into the sky along with her mother. Her tiny boot clad feet dangled above the crowd. They shouted, eyes filled with hatred and a burning desire to destroy. Their hearts, wretched and dark.

A pair of blue eyes stood out from the others. Blue eyes as clear and azure as the sky, reflecting millions of stars. Eyes so beautiful that they left you breathless.