Chapter 11: Drunk

After two songs with only Hinata, Lucy, and the awkward pair dancing opposite them, other lords and ladies joined them. Soon the the whole floor was littered with pairs, dancing to the music that echoed around the room. As the fifth song came to a stop, a few pairs started to walk from the dance floor. As soon as the first pairs started leaving, Verderina left her prince alone the dance floor. "That's cold." Hinata whispered, feeling sorry for Kageyama. He looked like a lost puppy as he tried to weave in between couples to get away from the dancers.

"Poor guy," She squeezed Hinata's hand a little tighter. Lucy had been grateful to be with someone so handsome, and still so kind, and she knew that her brother had not been granted the same luxury. "We should go now." Lucy led Hinata to the dais where the king along with his son and betrothed were already sitting. They watched as the music eventually faded out into nothing but echoes and the couples leaving the dance without a word. The tables were replaced and soon everyone was sitting down, in front of them were the golden bubbly drinks. One was set down in front of Hinata and out of curiosity, he took a sip. He smiled at the delightful warmth it left in his chest and the sting on his tongue.

"I think that's enough." Lucy said grabbing his third glass before he could take another sip.

"Hey! I liked that drink!"

Lucy sighed and gave him a small smile. "Trust me, its for the best." He pouted for a moment before returning to his plate of food. She turned to look at her brother and sighed. He was going through glasses faster than his betrothed had gotten off the dance floor. Kageyama's cheeks were flushed and every now and then he would let out a soft hiccup. After a while of quiet chatter the king stood from his throne.

"Tonight we celebrate the union of both my son and daughter. But the trials have not only brought forward the future queen, but also the kin of our own A captain, our friend, the General Fudo Feu." People around the room nodded or bowed their head in false and forced respect. "On that fateful day seventeen years ago, House Feu was lost. Friends were taken from us. Our blood was spilled!" Hinata was impressed at the king. He was surprised that he could slip on the mask of a kind and dutiful king from the cold tyrant he had seen that first day.

"But by a twist of fate, his only son was brought back to us! We shall keep the strongest in the royal family!" The king's posture was so effortlessly straight Hinata thought that it must've taken years and years to perfect. "Strength and power!" He shouted holding up his drink in some sort of sick toast. He looked around him and saw everyone holding up their glasses, including Lucy. Hinata gulped and his eyes darkened. This was truly what the Utolians were. The essence of strength and power, and that was what he must be. For his own survival.

"Strength and power!" The crowed repeated it back to him, over and over until the line was ringing in his ears. His eyes darted towards Kageyama and saw him following suit, whispering the cruel words only once before he downed the rest of his glass. Hinata sighed.

"Strength and power." He muttered hating every letter.

"Nicolas! Are you listening?!" The king shouted at him. The party had drawn to a close and the five of them were standing outside the entrance.

"Yes your highness." Hinata was exhausted and was only thinking of his warm bed.

"The four of you did well tonight, but next time you three need to be more social," The king gestured to everyone except Lucy.

Verderina pasted on a smile and muttered through her maddeningly perfect white teeth. "Of course your majesty." She gave him an extremely low curtsy that was all but respectful.