twelve | sight

twelve
s i g h t

One moment the trees were green, the next burnt orange leaves covered the ground. Summer turned to fall in the space of a week, and I was still no closer to finding any answers.

"Sometimes the truth is worse..."

Daisy's comment haunted my days and blue-eyed werewolves possessed my nightmares. It was exhausting and the only thing keeping me going was my hunger for the truth. She'd run off before I could reply, leaving my curiosity piqued and my desperation growing. I had a feeling it had been deliberate: to let me know that she knew what had happened, but she wouldn't tell me until I was ready. Until I'd made a decision about my future regarding Kaden.

I hadn't seen him for a week, and as much as I hated to say it, Dad had been right. Though he didn't realise it, by giving me space away from Kaden I had a chance to think logically. To sort through my muddled brain and figure out what I really wanted, without the temptation of the bond.

By giving me space away from Kaden, I'd realised what it would be like without him. And I hated it. Now I knew what I was missing there was this dark shadow of loneliness that sat uncomfortably in my chest. It was like I'd always unknowingly been a half and he'd shown me what it was like to be whole. And now, to be without him was to be a half again; a soul that would never be completed.

So yes, I'd decided Kaden was worth dying for. But it didn't mean I wasn't willing to fight for him first, whatever the hell that entailed. Now I just had to figure out how to tell him my decision. Texting and calling seemed way too impersonal and as I was grounded actually seeing him was impossible.

There was one other option: Daisy. But I didn't know how to go about contacting her. Before, it had always been her finding me, so I had a feeling this time would be the same. So I waited.

It was just before sixth period when she found me. I had gym class, but was still a little unsure about where the hall was. I'd stopped at my locker to pick up the map, when the hairs on my arms stood to attention.

"You're ready," Came the whisper.

I slowly turned to face her, shutting my locker as I went. "You came."

Daisy tilted her head. "You called?"

I swallowed down the nerves that fluttered in my throat, still a little weary of her 'sixth sense.' "I'm saying yes to Kaden...but first I need to know the truth."

"The truth..." Her tiny hand gripped mine, before she was tugging me along the hallway. We dodged the crowds and spun around corners, only slowing down once we reached the entrance. She flung the doors open and dragged me to where two four-wheel-drives were parked.

There was a beep as one of them unlocked, and I watched wearily as Daisy slid into the driver's seat. I sighed and followed her lead, realising I had no other choice. I'd barely even shut the door before Daisy was reversing out, the car squealing in protest as she lurched forward without braking. My nails dug into the worn leather of the seat.

"I didn't know you had your drivers licence," I said, focusing on breathing around my fear.

She laughed, the sound like windchimes in the sunlight. "I don't."

"Right..." I swallowed and gripped the seat tighter. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere safe," She whispered, her eyes darting across the empty road that led to the school.

Surprisingly, we were still in one piece when we reached the crossroads. Daisy drove straight, away from the main town. The trees blurred together into an endless stream of green until, with a screech of tyres, we abruptly slowed. The seatbelt bit into my skin as Daisy swerved over into a layby, narrowly missing the trees.