Part 3

~~~
The moving finger writes; and having writ, move on:
Nor all thy pity nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.
- Omar Khayyám
~~~

5 years ago...

Bradford Estate;

"Papa, how many times do I have to ask you to stop overexerting yourself?"
Saya's voice was soft but demanding as she made her way inside the library.

Lord Bradford looked up from the sheets lying on his table.
Saya had her hands on her hips and though she was desperately trying to sound strict, the worry and love were as evident as the sunlight streaming through the frosted glass of the library window.

Lord Bradford sighed deeply, keeping the parchment back at its place and smiled.
"You care a lot, Saya. You know that I have handled much more in my life. This is the account of the revenue. I have to look into it. As for exertion-"

"Yes, Papa. I know what you are going to say- that such trivial work does not exert you. But-"
Saya was cut short by a sudden fit of cough coming from Lord Bradford.

She hastily made her way to his side and began rubbing his back gently.

"See, I told you. You have to accept that you are not as young as you used to be, Papa. Your stubbornness​ is affecting your health."
Her voice held a lot softer tone this time.

Lord Bradford composed himself. After taking a few deep breaths, he took her hands in his own and stood up.

"You do not need to worry about me, Saya. I am healthy as a horse. Now, was there something you needed to talk about?"

Saya was going to argue further, but thought better of it.
This wasn't going to lead anywhere.
She knew, from experience, that her father could be really stubborn in some cases, his health being one of them.

"Mary's granddaughter is getting married the next month. I was thinking of arranging for some sovereigns.
It would really help her and Mary's been working for us for so long..."

Lord Bradford focused his grey eyes to her black ones, a feeling of pride and love filling them.
He smiled before replying,
"I have already told you, Saya- you do not need my permission in dealing with the matters of this household.
It is your home and you are its lady ever since your mother died.
You do what you feel is right and I am sure that it will be in the best intentions."

His words filled Saya's heart with deep satisfaction and love. She was grateful to the man standing in front of her.
He was one of the few who had faith in her and were proud of her.
For Saya, he was the most important person in the entire world.

She hugged him and muttered a thank you, before gracing her way out of the room.

Lord Bradford stood watching her retreating figure with a smile on his face.
His Saya had grown into a beautiful woman now- beautiful in form as well as heart.

He remembered the day he first saw her- as a scared, innocent four-year old, sitting by the side of her dying mother.
Her tears had sent a strange jolt of anguish through him.

Never in a million years, had he ever imagined that his impulsive journey to the land of Hindostan will be rewarded so fruitfully.

When​ his dear friend Augustus had proposed that they visit the place, in search of the famous spices, he had almost declined the offer.

Then came the unfortunate moment when he and his wife, Anne, lost their only child- a daughter- in the rampant flu. That incident triggered him to seek solitude and he took up the opportunity of visiting Hindostan.