62

STEVE

James is here. After so long, our son is here. After everything, every little thing that has brought us up to this point, we have a son. I have known Tori for years, and we've always mused about having kids, but we never thought it would happen anytime soon. After all the lies I've told everyone but her, that after the ice I didn't really want a family or stability like I did before, it's pretty obvious now that I still do. I thought it made me weak to want that, that it would drag me down when I had to work. However, that was when I thought that my job was the most important thing in the world. Now I would give that all up in a second to be with my family.

I hold James in my arms, staring down at him with tears still in my eyes. He ate and had his fill of the world for today, so he just sleeps peacefully with his fist somehow wrapped around my finger again. He managed to wrangle part of his arm from the tight bundle of blue blankets he lies in just to hold my hand. I think it might make him feel comfortable or something, but I do know that I have to contain sobs when he does it.

Tori sleeps on the hospital bed, as she should. She did so well today, and I couldn't be any happier. I'm so proud of her though. After all of that, she pulled through until we got to hold him after everything was done and James was content. I can't help but smile when I glance at her sleeping form underneath the sheets.

I sit in between Tony and Bucky, who both look over at James with wide eyes, pointing out every feature that he inherited from Tori or me.

"Definitely my kiddo's nose," Tony whispers, gently tapping my son's button nose with his finger.

"And that's Steve's build," Bucky says. "I think the serum might affect him later on, both of them in fact."

"At least Tori's serum would have shown by now. His skin would have been ice cold to the touch when he was born if that was the case," Tony adds.

"But just because that didn't happen doesn't mean that it isn't in his blood."

"Anyways, look at that little tuft of hair under his little hat."

I ignore the two dorks, and just look down at my son. His grip on my finger loosens and tightens, and he emits soft snores and grunts. Tony pulls the small beanie on James's head back down to keep him warm, and he just smiles. Bucky has smiled more today than I've seen him since even before he fell off the train.

"He's exactly like his father," Bucky mumbles happily.

"Would you like to hold him?" I ask him.

Bucky's eyes widen and dart from me to Tony.

"Hey, I've already held the little guy. It's your turn," Tony grins.

Bucky glances back at me. "Y-Y-You sure about this?"

I nod. "Did I stutter?"

I carefully transfer James into Bucky's arm, even though he won't let go of my finger.

"See, I don't think he wants to go," Bucky stammers.

"Buck, it's all right. You won't hurt him," I reassure him.

Bucky gulps, looking down at James in his arm. James grunts softly, yawning as he wakes up. He slowly opens up his eyes to see Bucky, who is still utterly mortified. Bucky holds his breath, waiting for James to start wailing. But he doesn't.

James gives him a gummy grin, letting out a little giggle. He lets go of my finger slowly, and raises his little arm. The blanket begins to unravel, so I just tuck it back in for Bucky and leave the arm sticking out. James grabs at the air, but his eyes stare up at Bucky. Bucky questionably leans his head down, seeing that he wants something that is up there. And sure enough, James grabs a handful of Bucky's hair.