90 days to love - Chapter 18

I tear down the corridor trying desperately to remember where the tubes are. My panic fuels my legs with adrenaline. I have to get there; he can’t die.

I reach the end of the hallway and turn right. The heavy panting from behind me stops momentarily and the footsteps slow to a cessation.

‘Lara it’s this way’ Iron puffs, gripping his chest. He nods me in the other direction and begins to dart away from me. I don’t waste a second and I’m soon sprinting after him. I pass a few doors, efficiently rounding the corners until I’ve caught up with Iron.

He manages to keep up with my pace now I’ve lost my head start. I don’t even think about the possibility of hazing; I can’t, not right now. The bonding with Iron couldn’t have been done at a better time. I wouldn’t have had a hope of seeing Jared one last time. I gasp as I’m hit by another wave of agony; it burns like furious conflagration that’s determined to hurt me at all costs.

‘The Demisio is getting stronger’ I wheeze, trying as hard as possible to keep my feet moving; to stop now would be suicide for both me and Jared. I don’t know why I’m doing this but I have to see him, even if it’s just one last time.

Iron reaches back and tugs at my hand as I begin to falter. He tows me along as the stabbing pain in my stomach makes me moan in pain. I want nothing more than to curl up in a ball and fall asleep. I want to rid myself of consciousness and the thought of…

‘Lara who is Ally?’

I cry out again as another surge hits me. I can still feel my underlying bond with Ally tingle at the sound of her name.

‘Don’t think about it. Think about your friend Ally’ Iron instructs. I conjure her face in my mind trying to fight the images of Jared. It’s a mental battle I have a high chance of losing. ‘Who is she?’

‘She’s my friend from the Leto palace’ I gasp.

‘How is a human on board that ship?’  Iron enquires. I pick up my speed suddenly a little afraid to answer him.

‘She’s not a Human; she’s a Dimidium’ I mumble. I elongate my strides yet Iron only matches my pace.

‘What is a Dimidium?’

The enormous sign-posted door crops up and I breathe out a sigh of relief. I reach for the door handle when I’m suddenly knocked to the floor. The torturous burn spreads like wildfire throughout my body as I hear a series of cracks. I scream at the anguish of my ribs.

‘Shit! Lara what happened?’ Iron shrieks frantically. I groan as I try and push myself up on my forearms.

‘I don’t know. I just got a colossal wave of pain’ I groan. ‘Shit Iron, I think I’ve broken my rib’ I tenderly run my hand along my waist, comforted by the immense purple blemish that camouflages my skin. It’s not just my imagination.

Iron lips form a hard grimace as he looks uncomfortably to his side. My head cocks in confusion but my body screams in protest.