I Love You

Throughout the years, Sherlock and John were inseparable. Their friendship grew stronger each year they were together.

They graduated high school together, cheering the loudest as the other was called to walk the stage. They were supportive of the other in everything they did.

When John got together with his first girlfriend at uni, Sherlock avoided him the entire time they were together. John couldn't figure out why until one of their mutual friends explained that Sherlock was smitten with him.

John tried to ask Sherlock about it, but he wouldn't reply to him. He was too mad about his personal feelings being thrown out like that, and by someone he called a friend, no less. He'd never trust Anderson with anything ever again.

John reassured Sherlock that it was okay - that he felt the same way, but he didn't know how to go about telling him because he hadn't explored his sexuality all that much, so he didn't know if it was just a sudden thought or an actual feeling.

Sherlock told John that he needn't try to make him feel better, but John persisted.

"Sherlock, I'm telling you, the feeling is very much mutual. I just -," he sighed. "It took me a while to catch up with myself, is all. But I do. Love you, that is."

"Love," Sherlock scoffed. "Love is stupid. Love is for idiots. Love . . . hurts." He shook his head to try and clear his thoughts, but it wouldn't work. "John, ever since that day, that retched first day of school, I have been in love with you. But for years, you never knew, because for years I always thought that you'd turn me away after I confessed myself; for years, I feared the worst - you not being my friend anymore. All over love."

Sherlock's eyes were full to the brim with tears, but he would not allow them to fall. He would show no weakness, and love - love is definitely a weakness.

John stared at him, shocked. "All this time, then?"

Sherlock couldn't look at him, but he nodded.

"Always, John."

John rushed to his side and pulled him into a kiss. Sherlock gasped and John took advantage of it, pushing his tongue into Sherlock's mouth, feeling around. The kiss was wet, but not slimy, as other boys had described when regaling their tales of kissing girls.

Sherlock closed his eyes at one point and slowly but surely relaxed into John's hold.

After a moment, John pulled back.

"So," Sherlock said, his voice hoarse. "You weren't lying, then?"

John couldn't help it. He laughed.

"Of course not, you clot!"

Sherlock's lips twitched into his familiar 'I hate you right now, but you're still funny' smirk.

"Now do you believe me?"

Sherlock shook his head. "No."

John frowned. "Why?"

"I'm going to need you to prove it to me a few more times."

John laughed again. "You nutter," he shook his head fondly and kissed him again, and again, and again.

Sherlock pulled back and looked John in the eye sternly.

"No more girls," he said. "You're mine, and I don't share what's mine."

John smiled. "Aye, Pirate Holmes."

Sherlock rolled his eyes. "I'm not a child anymore, you know."

"No, but you still act like one - oi! You can't hit your boyfriend! He's fragile."

"Oh, please, the only thing fragile about you is your ego."

"Hey now - dammit! All right, that's it. Come here!"

Sherlock threw every pillow he could find in John's direction, all the while jumping over all of their furniture to get away from him.

"You'll have to catch me!"

John smirked. "The game is on, then."

The two ran around their dorm room, throwing pillows and all sorts of objects at one another.

About twenty minutes into their constant chasing, John finally caught Sherlock and trapped him under his body on the ground. The two began to laugh in between their huffs of breaths. John leaned down and kissed Sherlock softly this time, trying to put all of his emotions into what he was trying to say within this moment. Sherlock seemed to be doing the same.

After a while, they broke for air.

"John, promise me something?"

"Anything, Sherlock."

"Even if . . . even if things don't work out between us as a couple, please promise me that we will always be friends. That you won't forget me, or throw me away. Please."

John pulled Sherlock into a hug and squeezed him as tight as he could. "Of course," he whispered.

"I promise the same, of course. Even if I wanted to, I could never forget you. You've given me a lot of firsts, you know. First friend, first kiss, first love. Thank you, John Watson."

John couldn't help but cry a little bit. He knew he was everything to Sherlock, but he never really understood that he was literally everything to Sherlock, so it made him feel very honored in that moment.

"I love you," John said.

Sherlock smiled. "I love you, too."