Dean the Demon

"Yeah, um . . . not so much. Cas . . . Dean's a demon." 

Castiel freezes, shocked by the news. He's in disbelief. This couldn't be true, not really. 

"Dean's a demon?" Castiel replies, slightly angry, shocked, and heartbroken. 

"How?" Castiel asks, his voice filled with anger. 

Castiel has forgotten about Hannah, and now all he can think about is Dean.

"The Mark – I-I guess it – It just messed him up. I don't know," Sam replies to Cas. 

Castiel covers his eyes with his hands and he pinches the bridge of his nose. 

"That is a vast understatement," Castiel replies, looking to his right. 

"Right. Now, Cas, listen. I know you're not feeling so hot, but this is kind of an ''all hands on deck'' situation here, so . . ." Sam drifts off. 

"So . . . I'll meet you there." Castiel tells Sam. 

"Yeah." 

Castiel hears the beep of the phone hanging up.

Castiel turns to look at Hannah. He gulps as he knows what he has to tell her. He knows he has to go back, he knows he has to help. And not just because Sam asked him too, he has to do it for Dean. Dean is in trouble, Dean is a demon, Dean needs him.

"We're family. We need you . . . I need you."

He is determined to help Dean, to make him human again. Castiel had been angry about the Mark and had told Sam to watch out for him. No one really understands how powerful The Mark was, or what it could do. It seemed that, just like Cain, it didn't quite let go. Cain was turned into a demon, and so was Cas.

Castiel loved Dean, still does, and will love him until he himself dies, and perhaps still then. His love for Dean won't let go, just like The Mark won't let go of Dean.

But Dean being a demon . . . Castiel isn't sure he can handle that. Dean's soul is . . . it's so bright and beautiful. Sure, Castiel can choose to see Dean in his human form, but Castiel often finds himself looking at Dean's soul. Who wouldn't love the chance to see The Righteous Man's soul? It's bright, white, beautiful, warm. The exact opposite of a demon's.

A demon's soul is scarred, broken, black, dark, evil, cold. Everything Dean's isn't. Castiel knows that as soon as he sees Dean again, he will be confronted with the soul of a demon and not the soul of the man he fell for. The man he had fallen in every way imaginable for. The man he fell in love with.

This will be someone different, a stranger. Someone who was more broken than the soul that he had pieced back together after he raised him from Purgatory. That's what scared Castiel the most. Not whether Dean, who was now a demon, would kill him, hate him, spit awful words at him. No, none of those things. He was scared that he would never see his Dean again, and all he would remember is this Dean. This horrible, awful Dean who didn't care about anyone, who was selfish, who wants to kill.

"Hannah, I am needed somewhere else, so it seems," Castiel informed her with a tired look on his face. 

Her eyebrows furrowed together, seemingly confused. 

"Somewhere . . . else?" Hannah questioned him, not quite understanding. 

"The Winchester's . . . they need me. I must go to them, it is quite urgent," Castiel tells her, his face becoming serious. 

"More urgent than the mission?" Hannah asks him, her face now urgent, practically begging him to stay. 

"Yes, I would say that this is far more urgent than the mission," Castiel shares with her.