Arrow

Artemis heard screaming. She often did. Screaming usually meant that her parents were ether angry with Jade, Each other, or her. This argument, however, was different. It had been going on for weeks now, and Artemis knew what it was about. Jade would listen in on their dispute and report back to her sister. Their argument suggested that her father, Lawrence Crock, wanted to train her in martial arts and weaponry. She could hear them clearly through the thin walls of the apartment now.
      "I started with Jade when she was Artemis's age" her father said in an angry tone.
      "You seem to forget Lawrence, Jade isn't Artemis they have different strengths, weaknesses, personalitys, I could go on. The point is, they aren't the same girl!" Paula Crock shot back.
     "I think you are forgetting something Paula. They may be different people, but they're both my daughters. Fighting is in their blood!" As the argument once again went out of earshot, Artemis climbed up onto her bed in the room the she and her sister shared. As soon as she was on it, Artemis drew back the curtains to the window beside her bed. She sighed as she looked out onto the roof of the apartment, and at the glowing stars that bathed her with moonlight. Her fantasy vanished as Artemis's head whipped around at the sound of the door to her bedroom opening.
      "Jade!" Artemis cried, relieved to see her sister. "You were gone so long, I almost thought you had gotten caught!" Jade laughed.
      "Me? Caught? Never! Well, I actually almost did  get caught. I barely had time to come up here before mom stormed out of the kitchen. That reminds me! Mom is coming up to make sure that we're asleep. It's almost midnight y'know. So, I advise that we get in bed, like, now." At Jade's words, Artemis and her sister scrambled into bed. After the light was put out, the girls made it look as if they had been asleep for hours. Messy hair, rumpled sheets, pillow on the floor. It was all planned very carefully after noticing their sleeping habits. After all, it had to be very convincing to fool Paula Crock. Just 20 seconds later, Artemis heard their bedroom door opening. After making sure her daughters were 'asleep', Mrs Crock softly closed the door.
       "How did the argument end?" Artemis whispered to her sister.
      "It really isn't looking good." Jade replied. "Mom has finally given in to dad's demands that you train with him. Only, mom had one condition. That I go with you and act as your protector." The room was silent. Both girls knew what this meant.
      "You will go, won't you?" Artemis's voice could barely be heard over her short breaths.
      "Of course. I wouldn't let my sister go out alone with him!" Jade replied in a hushed tone. " I also heard them say that you'll start in a week, once dad comes back from that work trip. But for now, I suggest we get some sleep. We have a lot to do tomorrow if you want to be ready for when you start training. " even though Jade couldn't see her, Artemis nodded and sighed with relief. Even though she didn't think it to be possible, Artemis finally drifted of to sleep. Knowing that her sister would keep her safe from whatever laid ahead.