Lesson 10: The Holy Christian Church, False Teachings, and The Last Days

What is the Holy Christian Church? There are five things the Holy Christian Church is. First, the Christian Church is One. This is evidenced in Roman 12:5. "In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.". It is also evidenced in Ephesians 4:4-6. "there is one body and one Spirit-just as you were called to one hope when you were called-one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over and all and through all in all.". 

Second, the Christian Church are saints. Being a saint means that although we are sinners that have sinned, we are people who have been made holy. This is evidenced in Hebrews 10:10. "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once and for all". 

Third, the Christian Church is, of course, Christian. Christ is the one who lays the foundation, and our identity when we follow Jesus is "Christians", little Christs. Evidence of Christ's foundation is in 1 Corinthians 3:11. "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Fourth, the Christian Church is universal. This means that the Christian Church is all around the world. This is evidenced in the first lines of 1 Corinthians, Galatians 1:2, and 1 Thessalonians 1:1. "To the church of God in Corinth.", "To the churches in Galatia.", "To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ". And to this day, there are still churches around the world. You can find churches in any of the United States of America and churches in other countries! 

Fifth, the Christian Church is invisible. The Church is not something physical that can be seen or touched. Consider Luke 17:20-21. "Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, Here it is, or There it is because the kingdom of God is within you.". Also consider 1 Samuel 16:7. "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart". 

How is the Church recognized? Is everyone who belongs to a visible church part of the Church? No, not everyone. And why is this? Because in this modern day and age, false teachers have invaded the church by bringing in their heterodox teachings. The word "Orthodox" simply means "right teaching". Therefore, "heterodox" is the opposite, meaning "false teaching". 

What did Jesus have to say about false teachers? First, let's look at Matthew 23:27. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean". Whoa, did Jesus really say that? I thought Jesus was nice and loved people! Well, He does love people. He loves all of us. But he wasn't always nice. He judges false teachers, and rightfully so! This is very serious. Furthermore, Jesus also said in Matthew 7:21, "Not everyone who says to me, Lord Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". 

The Church is recognized by the Gospel being rightly taught, and the Sacraments rightly administered. Consider John 8:31 in the NKJV. "Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him. If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed". And what did the early believers do? Acts 2:42 says "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer". It is very important to cling to the true Gospel and the teaching of the apostles. 

We must test those to come to us, to see whether or not they are false teachers. We are commanded to do so in 1 John 4:1. "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.". It is also commanded in Galatians 1:8. "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!". We are to test those who come to us with the Bible. What happens to false teachers who add or take away from the Word? The answer to that question is in Revelation 22:18-19. "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.". Those who add to or take away from God's Word will suffer very serious punishment.