Next Order of Business...Classes!

That night, the first in his new dorm room with his new team, Terry had a dream. It was a strange one, just a woman talking against a background of darkness...

                                  *

Legends.

Stories scattered through time.

Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants, byproducts, of a forgotten past.

Man, born from dust, was strong, wise, and resourceful, but he was born into an unforgiving world. An inevitable darkness - creatures of destruction - the creatures of Grimm - set their sights on man and all of his creations. These forces clashed, and it seemed the darkness was intent on returning man's brief existence to the void.

However, even the smallest spark of hope is enough to ignite change, and in time, man's passion, resourcefulness, and ingenuity led them to the tools that would help even the odds.

This power was appropriately named "Dust."

Nature's wrath in hand, man lit their way through the darkness, and in the shadow's absence came strength, civilization, and most importantly, life.

But even the most brilliant lights eventually flicker and die. And when they are gone... darkness will return.

At this point, the woman's voice took on a most sinister tone.

So you may prepare your guardians, build your monuments to a so-called "free world," but take heed... there will be no victory in strength.

But, then, a new voice, a man's voice, broke in. Somehow...it seemed almost familiar...like he had heard it before...

But perhaps victory is in the simpler things that you've long forgotten. Things that require a smaller, more honest soul.

                                   *

Terry gasped as he sprang awake, the dreams' ominous message (and faint spark of hope at the end) fresh in his mind.

Prophetic dreams were not unheard of amongst the People. The spirits felt he needed to know something and showed it to him in their own, cryptic way. It was up to him to interpret the message and understand it on his own.

Perhaps it was a history of this place. After all, Moon Bridges make travel so quick because they punch straight through the Deep Umbra, the darkest and most unpredictable of places in the velvet shadow. It was theorized that it could touch upon other worlds, other dimensions...

Whatever that explosion was along the cliffs near the edge of the plateau that the school was on somehow tore a connection from this world to Earth. Terry knew that he was in a different place. The air tasted different, the smells stronger, more vibrant. Colors were brighter, too. Looking out the window--

Fuck!!!

He nearly shouted in his panic. What the hell happened to Luna?! It was shattered!

Pieces of the moon were suspended in the sky nearby, as if the gravity was holding them in place after drifting a bit of ways away. The moon still had its same soothing silver glow, possibly waxing gibbous if he had to hazard a guess. The fact his auspice hung above him was scant comfort. The young Galliard felt sick, the broken moon weighing heavily on his heart and mind.

He lay back down in his bed. It was still late, and he had to start attending classes in the morning.

Needless to say, the nightmares began when slumber called.