chapter eight

"Our neighbors are leaving," your father said as you stood in the dining room, gazing out of the window. "And it is our duty to bid them farewell with this most bountiful feast."

You sighed. Your long evening gown was beautiful, as Marlo said, but every dress made on your planet was beautiful. This one, however, was itchy. You felt incredibly uncomfortable in it, and you would be wearing it all day.

"You mustn't pout, daughter," your mother snapped. "It is tradition. Besides, we will also be bidding the Order goodbye as they set off in search for the Resistance's new base in the outer rim."

"My apologies," you said dryly.

"Come now," your father beckoned, reaching for your arm. "Your mother and I will show you to the commander."

"Will I be entering the dining room with him?" you asked.

"Yes," he said. "And you will be the last to enter. This will be your engagement dinner, of sorts."

You sighed again. You didn't care about parties, but it seemed clear to you that your parents were just wanting to schedule your events of celebration along with already scheduled dinners and meetings. They didn't want to dwell too long on celebrating the one thing they didn't want, a daughter.

Before dinner, you were handed over to the commander. It was a pleasant surprise to see him without his helmet and mask. You couldn't help but blush as his brown eyes met yours as he looked at you with a soft gaze.

Other things had been changed, too. His robes were different today; the same ebony, but a different cloak and fabric. You touched the end of his sleeve when your parents weren't looking and smiled, a gesture that told him you liked his new wardrobe. He looked more like a future king and less like Commander of the First Order.

Once your parents entered the dining room, you were given the order to wait two minutes before you followed. In your two minutes, you turned towards Kylo and pretended to adjust the cloak draped over his shoulders.

"You look beautiful," he said, breaking the silence.

"And you," you said, cupping his face, "look nervous."

"I must admit, Princess, I have felt more confident before," he said, smiling a little. "My mask is a scare tactic. A way to make anyone who sees me uneasy. Without it, what am I?"

"You're still intimidating," you said. "But you're also beautiful. Have I told you that, Commander?"

"Beautiful," he repeated. He laughed lightly and shook his head. "I've never heard that one before."

"I'm glad I'm the first to tell you," you said.

He smiled and moved to your left side. "Take my arm," he said, and you did.

He looked into your eyes and you into his. As the doors opened, you both looked ahead and walked to the center of the dining room in sync. You were shown to your seats and had both chairs pulled out for you by servants. Kylo tried hard not to look nervous as all eyes were mostly on him, considering he didn't have his mask on.

Your father stood from his seat. "We have been very grateful to welcome you to Amaar. We hope you've found a comfortable home in our palace walls over the last two days, and we would like to close our third in a way of showing thanks."

You felt eyes on you. You turned your head slightly to the left and saw Juban. He was sitting on the other side of the person on your left. His chair was leaned back slightly so he could glare at the side of your head.

You blinked rapidly and swallowed your fear. From underneath the table, you reached for and gripped Kylo's hand. He tore his eyes away from your father to look at you, a wrinkle of concern between his eyebrows.