06 // not asking, telling.

_____________________________

06 // not asking, telling.

"I guess a congratulations is due since you're carrying my child now."

 "A bit late for that, don't you think? Or are you just now finding out?" I asked sarcastically.

"Don't get all testy with me, I'm being serious," Wren said. His gaze was intense and fixed on me. 

I crossed my arms and shifted my weight onto one foot. "Yes, I am carrying your child. Save us both the time and stop pretending to care."

"I've always cared," He replied, sounding annoyed.  "I've just finally come to terms that whether I like it or not, my baby will be growing inside of you for the next six months. Until then, I'll be... cordial with you. After that, I will thank you for bringing my child into this world and you will go back to being nothing to me. How does that sound?"

His eyes were hooded as he looked down at me. He was making me feel like exactly what I was- An incubator for his child.

"Sounds good," I spat at him. "Asshole." 

"Watch what you say," Wren said angrily. "I don't want my child coming out with a potty mouth because he is being forced to hear you all day."

"Go to hell, you fucking asshole," I said slowly, emphasizing each curse word. "Oops!" I put my hand over my mouth.

His jaw tightened.

I roughly brushed passed him. I couldn't believe that I was letting him get to me just because he felt bad for cheating on his wife. I wasn't the one who had been in the wrong.

"Wait!" Wren called. 

I stopped, abruptly and faced him again.

He looked down at the floor and then back at me. 

"What do you want?"

He sighed. "I don't mean to get you all riled up. I just want to...see?"

I looked at him confused. "See what?"

"How my baby's growing."

"And how do you want me to do that?" I asked.

"I don't know?! Show me your stomach?"

I laughed without humor. "You want me to pull up my dress in front of all these people?"

He sighed and shook his head. "Why don't you turn around slowly for me a few times while I look at your stomach."

I wanted to hit myself for giving him the option, but I went ahead and asked him. "Are you sure that you don't want to just feel my stomach?"

"I'm fine."

I shrugged, feeling stupid for even asking in the first place. "Well, I don't feel like turning around slowly a few times for your satisfaction."

Just then, a loud crack split the air. My eyes popped open and my mouth dropped when I caught sight of the bright red hand print and Wrens head turned to the side. 

"Oh my goodness, Shay!" I exclaimed, hurriedly stepping in between Wren and my best friend.

"How could you cheat on Shawna? Huh?" Shay spat. Strands of her multicolored hair had made its way out of her fancy bun."You have no morals do you, you bastard?"

"Shay stop!" I begged my friend. My back was pressed up against Wrens chest as I barricaded Shay from the man  behind me.

Wrens body tensed up behind me. The feeling made my pulse quicken.