Part 4

He found her, lying alone in the room, covered under white blankets and he felt his heart ached at that sight of her small face white with dark circles under the eyes. "Byakura sama?" she whispered as she opened her tired eyes into a narrow slit. He swallowed down the choking words and went over to her and sat beside her. "I am here, Hisana." She looked up at him and smiled so faintly and weakly. A tear leaked down her eyes as Byakura hold her hand and gently stoked her cheek. "I...I am glad...that I...can see you one more time..." she coughed, red specks of blood spluttered all over the blankets. He scooped her up and held her in his embrace as he wiped the blood from her lips with his trembling fingers. He had watched countless people died before his eyes, he had endured his grandfather's death, his father's death, his comrades' death but somehow this time, he couldn't seem to find a firm ground for his wobbly feet to stand on.

"I am...sorry, Byakura sama...To make you...worry...I..." He pressed her head closer to his chest and gently stoked her head. "Don't say anything, Hisana. And stop asking me not to worry about you. I have no one else but you to worry about. So just stop apologizing for it." He recognized his voice cracking as he rested his head against hers. "Will...you be ok...all alone...Byakura sama?" she asked holding onto his hakana. He knew what will ease her troubled mind, he knew what he should say but somehow he couldn't pronounce them. He couldn't say he'd be fine. He couldn't lie to her or himself. She looked up from his chest; tears staining her tired eyes and her thin hand reached up to his face and pressed it lightly. "You...will be...I know...you will...You are strong...But...I just..." Byakura couldn't listen to her words anymore. He took her hand from his face and quickly planted a kiss on her lips to stop her from talking further. She smiled weakly as he nudged his head against her forehead.

"I had never regretted anything in my life, Hisana but this time...I am not sure how I feel. I don't know what to feel." Her hand caressed his face and she whispered. "Don't think too much, Byakura sama. Just be with me tonight. Just you and me nothing more." He stared into her twinkling eyes and somehow his eyes stun as he watched her fading away slowly in his embrace. You said the five years with me was like a dream to you, Hisana but for me they were the only thing I ever had to reality. A very short period of reality in this realm of eternal dream. He watched as the sun glared through the thick foamy clouds which were endlessly and purposelessly floating in the infinitely vast canvas of sky.

Fifty five years had passed, Hisana. I kept my promise to look after your sister. And I am glad that I can say Rukia had grown up just like you, Hisana. Her kindness and her strong will. I could see you inside her, Hisana. Even though having Rukia in my life was a speck of light, a purpose for me to hold onto, I could never shut down my guard or let her come inside my defenses. I couldn't do that anymore. He looked down at his reflection in the water and saw his own broken face staring back at him. He had shut out not just to her but to everyone and everything for he realized what opening up the feelings to other really does to a person. He felt as though his heart was ripped out of his chest and crushed right before his eyes when Hisana died. He could never go through that kind of pain, that kind of situation ever again. You said you believe in my strength and wanted me to protect your sister with that strength.

But because of my duties, my promises to my grandfather and to my family, I almost failed you. If it wasn't for Kurosaki Ichigo, I will have failed you in every way possible. His words, not matter how disrespectful they may be, awakened a part of me, I had denied for a very long time since you been gone. I was so keen on keeping my promise to my parents that I forgot my promise to you. I almost hurt the sister you entrusted me. I am sorry for my stubbornness, Hisana. I am truly sorry. He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply as the wind brushed through his hair dissolving his boiling emotions with its cool breezes. I will protect Rukia with my life, Hisana. Even though I have my duty to uphold my family name, I also have my duty to protect Rukia as a brother. All your life, you never demanded anything from me; I would be a shameless person if I couldn't keep that one request.

He looked around the courtyard; quietly taking in the still picture before him. From the green small bonsai trees and tall bamboo trees growing alongside the walls to the grand enormous manor which seated in the middle of the entire yard, everything stared at him with mocking disgrace. He bet in his 100 years of leadership, grandfather would never have a moment of weakness like the one he was having. As a captain and as 28th head of his family, I must be strong, I must stand tall for my clan, for Rukia and for...you Hisana. You trusted me, believed in me. I shouldn't be standing here feeling sorry for myself; I shouldn't be wallowing in the past like a fool. I must keep going forward and fulfill my duties and promises. He sharply breathed in and turned toward the main house hold. This spring madness, he had to find a way to get over it. He thought as he walked back to the house.

His first intention was to return to his chamber and continue his reading but he halted on the porch and looked back to the gate as he sensed a Reiatsu coming toward him. With a loud noise, the gate door flung opened and a red headed shinigami rushed into the courtyard. He frowned as he watched his vice-captain ran toward him. Always noisy and in a hurry, that one. He thought as he folded his arms and watched him. "Taichou...." He shouted as he stopped abruptly in front of him. "What is it?" he asked as he watched at Rangi wiping his forehead with his sleeves. "Commander Yamamoto had summoned all the captains and vice-captains for an emergency meeting." He frowned at his words. Did something happen again? If he was calling all the captains then it must be related to Aizen Sosuke. "I got it. Let us go then." He said calmly and headed back to the gate. "Aw, Hai. Taichou." Rangi said as his captain walked ahead him and followed him quickly. Both the captain and vice-captain of 6th division shunpoed away, heading toward the head quarters of 1st division. Their hakana flowed behind them gracefully as they disappeared from the view.

The sounds of wind chimes filled the warm air and enveloped the entire mansion of Kuchiki family with its sweet melodies. The touch of sun light on the surface of crystal clear lake reflected the colorful rays, giving the entire place a dreamy shape with all the green bonsai trees and rustling bamboo trees dancing along with the wind. The mansion stood strong and in silence, embraced within the spring's spirits. Even though its giant walls and sturdy pillars had kept out the intruders, it couldn't protect against the strikes of grief and loneliness that spring had brought. Despite its gentleness and beauty, the spirits of the spring struck the souls of wounded ones, bringing forth their darkest pain, darkest memories attempting to take over their spirits with its madness.

Will these unfortunate souls be able to defend themselves against this madness or will they just forfeit before its attacks? Who knows? After all, this is just spring madness. Purely simple yet painful Spring Madness.