The Spark

The next day, everyone was desperate to find out what happened that night. But all they got was disappointment. He told them how he finished the night but no one could understand why he left. Within a couple of hours into his shift, Deana walked in for her shift. Alan saw her and she saw him. But she made her way up to the next floor to start her shift. He decided to leave her up there and thought she would come and talk to him when she was ready. Or at least that's how he hoped it would go.

The pub got busier as the day got later. More people were ordering food and runners were kept busy. The down stairs floor wasn't as busy as the upstairs. Alan knew this, but he thought there would be awkward tension between him and Deana so he chose not to do anything. However, when the manager noticed upstairs needed help, Alans fortune was ignored and he was sent to help.

On the upper floor, Alan saw that the food lamp was on in the gantry. So he figured what the hell.

"Hey. Claire sent me to give you a hand."

"Great."

And then there was just food being ran and awkward tension. After 30 minutes of madness, the rush stopped and it all died down again. Alan was scraping bits of food in the bin from left over plates. On the radio, Claire asked for Alan to go back down. He was just about to leave when Deana came rushing in with more plates.

"There is still loads more to get."

"Uh Claire's asked for me to go down now." Alan went to leave. But Deana had more to say.

"So you're just going to leave me again?"

"What?" Alan asked coming back in.

"I know now."

"Know what?"

"I know you were just scared because you're still a virgin."

"Wha...Who told you that?"

"Gavin did."

"Fuck sake."

"It's okay, it makes sense. You were doing so well just because you were nervous."

"Okay, let me stop you there. First, never listen to anything Gavin says. Anything that comes out of his mouth is bullshit. Second, I wasn't scared or nervous about what I was doing to you."

"So you just like teasing me then? Is that it?"

"What? No."

"You're just playing it cool and leading me on because you know I like you and you..."

"No I'm not trying to lead you on, I just...wait, did you say you like me?"

"...thought you'd just be a puppet master to my heart. Well I'm telling you now, I've been hurt too many times to have it..." Alan rushed and kissed her. It was a good kiss. Powerful. Embracive. She was kissing him back. When they stopped, she just smiled and bit her lip.

"Speechless, good. I often have that affect on people. Now before you start chatting on again, listen to me. I didn't leave you last night because I wasn't scared, or nervous, or teasing you or leading you on. I left because i didn't want that to be the way we 'did it'. You were hammered, barely able to walk. I would have been taking advantage of you, and that's not me. I'm the good guy. Look..." He pulled Deana in close and had his left hand around her on her back with his other hand on her face. "I like you too. So let's make this work properly." He kissed her again.

The radio started buzzing with Claire asking where Alan was. He pulled away from kissing Deana, waddled backwards with his arms still around her making her laugh and have to go with him. Alan then picked up the radio. "Uh actually Claire, this floor is needing some love and care so me and Deana are gonna work on it." He then looked deeply into Deana's eyes and said "if that's okay with you?" Deana smiled and pulled Alan's head to hers so there heads were resting against each other's.

"Okay." She responded and they went back to kissing again. Claire was responding on the radio but they completely ignored it.

Well from there, the day passed with a more positive mood. Unfortunately, six o'clock came and it was time for Deana to clock out. They exchanged numbers and agreed they would plan to meet up sometime soon. Leaving Alan to ponder all the memories they were going to make together.