Getting ready

It's the first Monday of the summer between third and fourth grade and my best friend; Link is going to stay with his aunt Lynda. My parents have planned something very special for my brother and me... but they won't tell us what it is until we leave in a few hours.

I called Link just a few moments ago and he said that he would miss me while he is away. I told him that I would come to his house the day that he gets back, I haven't told him that I was going on a trip too, I hope I get home before he does. My mom called me and my brother to come downstairs and get our laundry to pack, I picked out about twelve tee-shirts, six pairs of shorts, six pairs of pants, three pairs of pajamas, and all the socks and underwear that I would need along with some swim trunks. Then I went into my room and got five pairs of shoes and some other small things that I would need to bring with me, then I made my way to the bathroom to get some toiletries and headed back to my room to lay everything out on my bed. My dad was on his way to the store to get us some oversized suitcases so that all of our belongings would fit into one bag, so I couldn't start actually packing until he returned. I decided to go and talk to my brother while we waited on our dad. I knocked on the door and said," Cole can I come in, I'm done laying out my things and I'm very bored." He replied, " Come in." So I went in and found him sitting on his bed staring at a picture of his girlfriend, she is very pretty her name is Madeline and she is 16, only one month older than Cole. "Cole are you just going to stare at a picture of her or are you gonna call her?" I asked not knowing that they had just gotten into a fight over something that I think is stupid. Cole told everything that had happened with them and I didn't know how to help because I'm not even in fourth grade yet so I just said, "She loves you, though, so she will forgive you." At least, that's what I thought, because, whenever mom and dad fight, they always forgive each other. Cole looked at me and said, " Thanks, little bro, but I don't think that she will forgive me about this for a while." I didn't understand why at that moment, but I would learn soon that she would never forgive him. Just as I was about to ask Cole where he thought we were going, dad pulled up and brought us our suitcases. I went back into my room and started putting all of my belongings into the suitcase. I had a little extra room in my suitcase, so I picked up a picture of me and Link that had a note on the back that read, "Rhett and Link best friends forever!" I laughed when I read it because I knew that Link had written that note on the day that we met, the first day of first grade.

A/N: sorry all the chapters are short but watch this playlist while you read this story, the book is biased on the first episode of buddy system so yeah I hope you like it and I probably won't be updating much because I have lots of band concerts coming up and lots of color guard practice for those who are wondering, I play trombone and I am in last chair😔Oh well it's fine with me cause band is sooooooooo much fun! Also thanks for so many reads lately!