4. Clean

Alexandra Phillips

"Enjoyed the food?" Rochelle asked me as I pushed forward my finished plate. I nodded and wiped my hands into the napkin. "I'm glad you actually came out with me today."

I had been in rehab for months now, and Rochelle made it her duty to take me to dinner every other Sunday night, and it was good to be able to see my family but sometimes I wasn't up for it. I was going through major withdrawal while trying to deal with Christopher's death that I believed had everything to do with me.

Today my advisor encouraged me that getting out would be a good idea to clear my mind and he was right. Although, it was supervised with Rochelle watching my every move, it was still better than being stuck in my room.

I was trying my hardest to take on a more positive mindset and get my life in order, I was now four months clean and it was a struggle, but they told me it would all be worth it in the long run and I knew it was true but I was waiting to believe that for myself.

"How does it feel being four months clean?" she asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"It's really... challenging."

"I can only imagine, but you truly look so much better, so much healthier and so much happier. I'm so proud of you." I had gained back most of my healthy weight, my skin was glowing and I did feel healthier but in that same breath, I still had an urge.

"I guess." I took a sip of my water, and looked up to see a man stealing glances over at me. "I'm glad it's almost over."

"Same, your parents have been bothering me non-stop."

"If they cared, they would come and visit." I scoffed, and pushed my long jet-black hair behind my ear.

"They care, you know it's just hard for them to see their baby in this predicament and you know how emotional your mom can get Lex!"

"I guess, but still... it would be nice to see them, as opposed to having the read their letters that I am sure, you wrote."

Ro clutched her chest and dropped her jaw, "why do you say that?"

"I know my mom, English is not her first language; the moment I saw those big words, I knew."

"Ugh, fine! But, they are her words, I just changed them up a bit. They really do miss and love you."

"Let's change the subject!" I said, holding my finger up. "How's Nya?"

"She's good, she's grown up so so much. Right now, she's adjusting to being back where she belongs and I know it's hard for her but she does seem happy."

"I'm glad to hear that and I am glad you got her back."

"Yeah... for now at least." Ro said, mumbling the last part.

"What was that?"

"Oh, it's really nothing. Just Alonzo, he took me to court for a custody battle and although you would think I would win, he has an amazing lawyer and things are actually looking up for him."

"How? He's not even her father?" I raised my brow, leaning forward a bit.

"Well..." she bit her bottom lip and looked down, "I am not sure anymore, now that she has grown up I can see the resemblance of him. I was so sure that Anthony was the father for years but at that time I was sleeping with both him and Zo."

"C'mon Rochelle..."

"I know, please don't judge me." She shook her head, and looked away. "We are doing a DNA test in a few days, and I am so worried." I watched her wipe away her tear, "I don't want to lose my baby again."