Chapter 11: Ocean Floor

I notice things about John. He always wrote to me with a dark blue calligraphy pen. In his almost illegibly elegant doctor scribble, his letters detailed things like how many calories "amorous kissing" burns, the mating habits of his local geese and how much he loved me (sometimes in the form of a poem he'd spent the afternoon writing at his house in the country). He was a silly and loving man and usually did his silly loving with flair and minimal thought. When it came to writing, this meant not settling for emails or texts, but by paper... genuine.. authentic.

"My love,
I often think of you and see you in my dreams, usually looking sad and depressed because of me. This has added a feeling of compassion to my love for you. I miss having you around all the time. Hopefully I can soon come home to you and to the flat we both hold so dear to our hearts.My heart beats like a hammer and I stutter and I stammer every time I see you at the picture show. In fact, I'm writing to tell you, Sher, that you're my absolute dream man..."
This seems nothing like john. Not the slightest but I brush it off with a whisper of doubt still hanging above my shoulder as I read the rest of the folded paper.
" god this is the most cheesiest thing I've ever written. I love you okay? I'll see you at home in a few days"
There we go. That's my johnny boy.
Johnny.. hmm.. I've never called him that. John always felt right.
Oh god I'm falling into this social loop hole of love.
God but I love him.