GotH: Issue #1

The emotions of the three men washed over Billy and then were replaced in a torrent as his own anxiety overwhelmed all else.  Billy backed further into the corner trying to escape the eyes of the three men and succeeded when he moved through the wall into the adjoining room.  His relief was short-lived as the emotions of the women in that room rushed in to replace his anxiety perpetuating the emotional cycle of Billy's entire life.

Billy, get back in here, he heard a woman say.

He reminded himself that he didn't actually hear her nor had she really spoken.  This whole thing would take some getting used to.  Sorry, Angela, sorry.  I'm coming.

The wispy form of a muscular, bare-chested blonde man of about twenty five floated through the wall and into the room with the three men.  Opposite Billy's ethereal form floated a small woman of about four foot eleven with brown hair flowing down her shoulders loose as if an ocean current spilled over her body.  The small room had one door, a tired sagging sofa with two men on it, and an old overstuffed chair with a third man sitting in it.  The three men talked excitedly in a language Billy didn't recognize at all.

Aren't we supposed to know what they're saying or something? Billy whispered to Angela.

You don't have to whisper, Billy.  They can't see or hear us, Angela replied with a note of annoyance in her voice.

I know, Billy whispered and caught himself changing his tone to a conversational level like Angela's.  I know.  I just, well, this is all new to me.

See? she asked floating over to the man in the overstuffed chair and waving her hand directly in his line of sight.  He can't see us.

Billy hung his head.

Look, I'm sorry.  It's just that we've all done more of these sneak and peeks than we care to remember.  They never turn up anything useful.  They're dull and boring, she said

Sorry, was all Billy could bring himself to say.

And stop apologizing.  If you keep doing that when Brandt is here, he'll explode on you.  Lord knows he's good at what he does, but he can be an ass sometimes, Angela said floating over to hover next to Billy.

If these don't turn anything up then why are we doing them? Billy asked.

Because you need to learn how to gather information since that's what we do, a new voice said in Billy's mind as a gossamer winged man descended into the room through the ceiling.

Took you long enough, Angela said.

I will not tolerate insolence from you, Brandt said coming to rest uncomfortably close to Angela's face.

You tolerated it from Scott, she said.

Billy felt the emotions of the pair suddenly eclipse both his anxiety and the excitement of the men in the room.  Anger, sadness, and longing all threatened to drown Billy.  He unconsciously floated away from the pair.

He was exceptional at what he did, Brandt said

Then you'll tolerate it from me for the same reason, Angela said defiantly not backing away.  Billy thought he saw her lower lip tremble as she starred Brandt in the eyes.

Focus people.  Get the cherry on task so we can wrap this sneak and peek.  We've got more important things to do, a new male voice said in everyone's mind.

Roger that Archangel, Brandt said moving away from Angela.  Billy, come over here.  Have you been listening to those language tapes Archangel gave you?